Sony Pictures still wants and intends to release its controversial film The Interview, possibly via YouTube.
As US President Barack Obama again expressed disappointment in the company’s decision to withdraw the movie in the face of threats thought to originate from North Korea, Michael Lynton, the studio’s chief executive, said on Sunday it had “not caved” in to hackers who crippled the company and that it was exploring ways to let audiences see the film.
“We would still like the public to see this movie, absolutely,” Lynton told CNN.
“There are a number of options open to us and we have considered those, and are considering them,” he said.
Asked about releasing the film via YouTube, he said: “That’s certainly an option and certainly one thing we will consider.”
Lynton’s comments revived the prospect of audiences legally viewing the comedy which stars James Franco and Seth Rogan as journalists who assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
The US government has blamed North Korea for the cyberattack which paralyzed the Hollywood studio’s computer networks and splashed its digital archives across the Internet.
Pyongyang denied any involvement.
Anonymous terrorist threats last week, to target screenings, prompted cinema chains and other distributors to refuse to show The Interview. The studio then canceled the film’s planned theatrical release on Thursday and said it had “no plans” for a release in any form.
Obama and many others accused the studio of surrendering to intimidation and setting a precedent for censorship.
Lynton struck back on Sunday, saying Sony still wanted to release the film.
“We have always had every desire to have the American public see this movie,” he said.
He said cinema chains’ refusal to carry the film forced the theatrical cancelation.
“At that point in time we had no alternative but to not proceed with the theatrical release on 25 December and that’s all we did. We did not cave, we have not given in and we have not backed down,” Lynton said.
Sony Pictures’ original statement last week appeared to rule out any attempt to release The Interview, but Lynton, in an attempt to regain the moral high ground, said it was in fact considering digital and video-on-demand options, despite a lack of support from distributors.
“There has not been one major video-on-demand distributor, one major e-commerce site that has stepped forward and said it is willing to distribute this movie for us,” he said. “We don’t have that direct interface with the American public and need an intermediary to do to that.”
Netflix, Amazon, TimeWarner and other big distributors made no immediate comment, nor did Google, which owns YouTube.
Director of the movie Judd Apatow last week predicted that the movie would be available on BitTorrent within six weeks.
The company claims to have more than 170 million monthly active users.
Japan’s Mount Aso erupted yesterday, spewing a giant column of ash thousands of meters into the sky as hikers rushed away from the popular tourist spot. No injuries were immediately reported after the late-morning eruption in southwest Japan, which sent rocks flying in a dramatic blast captured by nearby CCTV cameras. People were warned not to approach the volcano as it ejected hot gas and ash as high as 3,500m, and sent stones tumbling down its grassy slopes. Authorities were checking if any hikers had been trapped or injured, officials told local media, as TV footage showed dozens of vehicles and tour buses
South Korea yesterday said that it would lift COVID-19 restrictions on social gatherings next week as the country prepares to switch to a “living with COVID-19” strategy amid rising vaccination levels. A new panel established this week is drawing up a plan for a gradual lifting of curbs, aiming to lift restrictions and reopen the economy next month on the expectation that 80 percent of the adult population will be fully vaccinated. From Monday, the South Korean government is to allow gatherings of up to four unvaccinated people and ease operating-hour restrictions imposed on venues such as restaurants, cafes and cinemas, South
‘AVOIDABLE SITUATION’: After being tortured in his home country, a Sri Lankan and his family are at risk of deportation from the UK, despite his academic fellowship A scientist conducting groundbreaking research into renewable energy is facing deportation with his family to Sri Lanka, where he was tortured, after receiving contradictory information about his case from the British Home Office. Nadarajah Muhunthan, 47, his wife, Sharmila, 42, and their three children, aged 13, nine and five, went to the UK in 2018 after Muhunthan, who is working on thin-film photovoltaic devices used to generate solar power, was given a prestigious Commonwealth Rutherford fellowship. The award allowed him to reside to the UK for two years to research and develop the technology. His wife obtained a job caring for
A top global law firm is no longer representing the University of Hong Kong (HKU) in seeking the removal of a Tiananmen memorial from its campus after it came under heavy criticism in the US for helping China purge dissent, the Washington Post reported. Mayer Brown is the latest international company to face pressure over how its actions in China contradict its more progressive statements in the West. The 8m high Pillar of Shame sculpture by Danish artist Jens Galschiot has stood on HKU’s campus since 1997, the year the city was handed back to China. It features 50 anguished faces and tortured