The Ministry of Transportation and Communications is to authorize police to conduct roadside saliva tests by the end of the year to deter people from driving while under the influence of narcotics, it said yesterday.
The ministry last month unveiled a draft of amended regulations governing traffic safety rules and penalties, which included provisions empowering police to conduct mandatory saliva tests on drivers.
While currently rules authorize police to use oral fluid testing kits for signs of drug use, they do not establish penalties for noncompliance or operating procedures for officers to follow, the ministry said.
Photo: Huang Liang-chieh, Taipei Times
The proposed changes to the regulations require police to video the test, which should be performed at the side of the road, it said.
Officers would be able to demand that drivers present themselves at a law enforcement facility to undergo saliva tests if circumstances do not permit tests to be performed at the side of the road, it added.
Police must immediately inform the driver of their test results and obtain their signature, the ministry said.
A positive result in a saliva drug test would result in a two-year license suspension for the driver and their vehicle, and a fine of up to NT$180,000 (US$5,857), it said.
The government would confiscate the vehicle of a driver who caused a severe injury or death while driving under the influence of drugs, the ministry said.
A car or motorbike driver who refused a second saliva test within 10 years would be fined up to NT$360,000, while those who refused a third time would be fined another NT$180,000 and lose their license, it said.
The ministry would publish the name and photograph of those who lost their license by refusing to take saliva tests and rescind the license plate of their vehicle for two years, it added.
Drivers of low-speed vehicles — a legal category that includes bicycles, electric bicycles and light electric scooters — must comply with saliva tests or face a NT$4,800 fine, the ministry said.
Light electric scooters could be temporarily confiscated if a driver refuses to comply with the test, it said.
Meanwhile, the ministry on Tuesday said that drivers who commit certain traffic violations more than three times in one year would be required to attend a three-hour class to improve their driving safety awareness starting in March next year.
In a Facebook post, the ministry said the violations include running red lights, failing to observe right of way at intersections with no signals, and not slowing down as required when passing crosswalks, hospitals or schools.
Professional drivers of large commercial vehicles would be required to take the class after two offenses within a year, it said.
The mandate is part of a slew of new traffic regulations to be gradually rolled out next year with the aim of reducing the number of deaths on the road by 7 percent each year, according to a statement by the ministry on Oct. 1.
These include eliminating the true/false questions from the driver’s license test, testing yielding responses in road tests, holding classes for repeat offenders caught driving without a license under the age of 18 and imposing stricter rules for elderly drivers, who would have to renew their driving license at age 70 instead of 75.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not