A New Jersey officer has been charged with misconduct after prosecutors said he did not quickly respond to and properly investigate reports of a shooting that turned out to be a double murder, instead allegedly stopping at an ATM and pizzeria.
Franklin Township Police Sergeant Kevin Bollaro was the on-duty officer on the evening of Aug. 1, when police received 911 calls reporting gunshots and screaming in Pittstown, about 96km from Manhattan in central New Jersey, Hunterdon County Prosecutor Renee Robeson’s office said.
However, rather than responding immediately, prosecutors said GPS data and surveillance video showed Bollaro drove about 3km in the opposite direction of the caller’s location to an ATM.
Photo: AFP
Dispatchers relayed other calls from concerned neighbors as Bollaro proceeded toward their locations without activating his police vehicle’s emergency lights and sirens, they said.
When he arrived at the location of the first caller, the officer told the dispatcher he did not hear anything and said he would continue to the locations of the other callers. However, Robeson’s office said GPS data showed he never visited those locations before he asked the dispatcher to clear him from the scene.
Bollaro instead headed to Duke’s Pizzeria in Pittstown, where he remained for about an hour, they said.
Witnesses later saw him park and enter another local restaurant, where he remained for roughly another hour, prosecutors said.
Bollaro later submitted a report in which prosecutors said he made false statements about the extent of his investigation.
They said that during the timeframe he claimed to be canvassing the area, the officer was already en route to the pizzeria.
The following day, Aug. 2, the bodies of Lauren Semanchik, 33, and Tyler Webb, 29, were found in a home about 183m away from the location of the first 911 caller.
The two had been shot to death by New Jersey State Police Lieutenant Ricardo Santos, who had later killed himself, prosecutors said.
Bollaro has been charged with official misconduct for knowingly refraining from performing his police duties, prosecutors said.
He also faces a charge of tampering with public records for knowingly making false entries in his incident report.
Bollaro is due to appear in court on Wednesday next week.
His lawyer, Charles Sciarra, did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment on Saturday but, in a statement to the New York Post, called the charges “unfortunate.”
He maintained “nothing Kevin Bollaro did or did not do that day impacted or could have stopped” the killings.
The families of the two shooting victims have said they are “shocked at Sgt. Bollaro’s egregious conduct” and believe it is the “tip of the iceberg of the many failures by the local and state police” in the killings, WABC-TV reported.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told