A devoted math teacher before he turned revolutionary, Duch, the man who oversaw the Khmer Rouge’s security apparatus, begins his trial at Cambodia’s UN-backed war crimes court tomorrow.
“I have done very bad things in my life,” he confessed to journalists who tracked him down in 1999. “Now it is time for [the consequences] of my actions.”
The 66-year-old Duch, whose real name is Kaing Guek Eav, allegedly oversaw the torture and extermination of more than 12,000 men, women and children at the Khmer Rouge’s Tuol Sleng prison during the regime’s 1975 to 1979 rule.
PHOTO: EPA
Duch was formally arrested by Cambodia’s genocide tribunal in July 2007, becoming the first top Khmer Rouge cadre to be detained, and is charged with war crimes, crimes against humanity, torture and premeditated murder.
He is said to have been feared by nearly everyone who worked under him at the prison in the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh.
Most who worked there were uneducated teenage boys, who he said could be easily indoctrinated because they were “like a blank piece of paper.”
He has recognized the crimes committed under his command of the regime’s killing machine, where prisoners were tortured into denouncing themselves and others as agents of the CIA, KGB and Vietnamese Communist Party.
Duch was first arrested in 1999 after photojournalist Nic Dunlop uncovered him earlier that year working for a Christian relief agency in western Cambodia.
Before that, he was long thought dead following his disappearance after Vietnam’s ouster of the Khmer Rouge in 1979.
Instead, Duch had converted to Christianity and worked for relief organizations along the Cambodian-Thai border.
“I wanted to be a good communist; I did not take any pleasure in my work,” he told Dunlop. “All the confessions of the prisoners. I worried, ‘Is that true or not?’”
Duch later told tribunal investigators he believed the inner circle of Khmer Rouge leaders did not believe the confessions either, but used them as “excuses to eliminate those who represented obstacles.”
Born in 1942 in central Cambodia, Duch was a top student and is remembered as a sincere teacher devoted to helping the poor before he fled to the Khmer Rouge in 1970 as a reaction to injustice in then-volatile Cambodia.
That decision to join the communist guerrilla movement was influenced by one of his high school instructors who would later be executed at Tuol Sleng.
“I joined the Khmer Rouge in order to liberate my people and not commit crimes,” Duch told tribunal investigators. “I became both an actor in criminal acts and also a hostage of the regime.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The