Lawmakers who were elected in East Timor's parliamentary elections last month sat for their first session yesterday but were tight-lipped over how they expect to break a deadlock over forming a government.
The June 30 polls were supposed to herald a new chapter in the young country's democracy after more than a year of sporadic violence and political tension that followed deadly unrest on Dili's streets.
But bickering parties, none of which snared the majority of seats needed to govern, have failed to agree on how to divide power as the impoverished but oil and gas rich nation tackles a slew of economic and social challenges.
All 65 members of parliament turned up for the inaugural session yesterday, including former prime minister Mari Alkatiri and his chief rival, independence hero Xanana Gusmao.
"You are seeing me laughing," Gusmao said when asked how he felt to be back at work, seemingly downplaying tensions between parties. Lawmakers have been holding unsuccessful talks to thrash out a solution to their stalemate.
Gusmao's National Congress for the Reconstruction of East Timor (CNRT) holds 18 seats but has allied with smaller parties and wants to form a coalition government with 37 seats. Alkatiri's Fretilin party, which had governed since East Timor's independence in 2002, won just 21 seats.
The Constitution is unclear on who should form a government and select the prime minister in such a scenario, but final authority rests with the president, Nobel Peace Prize-laureate Jose Ramos-Horta.
Ramos-Horta, who has been pushing for a unity government and attended the parliamentary session, has warned that if the parties do not reach their own agreement by Monday he will act unilaterally to decide.
Asked for comments on the possibility of a unity government, Alkatiri was non-committal, saying that "participation [in government] should not only be limited to a party or those who sit in parliament.
"We should also seek the participation of society and the Catholic Church so that development can be accelerated," he told reporters.
Ramos-Horta fears the CNRT-led coalition would be unstable, but has said Fretilin cannot form a government alone as it won insufficient votes.
Lawmakers were due later yesterday to elect the parliament's president by secret ballot.
The elections in the former Portuguese colony were largely peaceful, in contrast to violence on the streets of the capital Dili in April and May last year that left at least 37 people dead.
Tensions have risen again in Dili over the past few weeks, with repeated low-level run-ins between UN police and youth gangs. Ten UN vehicles have been damaged in incidents, police said.
More than 2,000 UN police and Australian-led international peacekeepers, who were first called in to subdue last year's violence, are overseeing security in the country.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying