Electoral officials said on Thursday a run-off vote would likely be necessary to decide Liberia's presidential race, as early returns show former soccer star George Weah running neck-and-neck with the country's most popular female politician.
Liberian voters cast ballots on Tuesday for Liberia's first elected president since the end of a 14-year civil war that killed tens of thousands of people.
"The results, although too early, show that it might be difficult for one candidate to obtain the required 50 plus one [percent of the] vote to emerged the elected president," National Electoral Commission Chairman Frances Morris told reporters in the capital, Monrovia.
Neck-to-neck
"So far the leading candidates have been running neck-to-neck," Morris said.
In early returns from Tuesday's vote, Weah and Harvard-educated politician Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf led the field of 22.
But it was expected to be days before the count had progressed enough to indicate a trend. Results must be posted within 15 days, although a final tally is expected earlier.
A second round, if necessary, would be held early next month.
On Thursday, former Liberian rebel leader and presidential candidate Sekou Conneh said that he would accept elections results.
Rebuild the country
"Whatever the results, we will accept it and quickly get together to rebuilt the country," Conneh told reporters in comments addressing concerns that Liberia could be engulfed in violence again despite the gains that made it possible to hold a peaceful vote.
"I am one of the happiest people today," Conneh said.
"The very reason why we took arms was to put democracy back on track in our country and that is what is happening today," he added.
Conneh, a former political leader of the main rebel group that forced warlord-turned-president Charles Taylor from power in 2003, is not considered a serious contender.
Turnout among the 1.3 million registered voters was running at about 70 percent, said Frances Johnson Morris, who chairs the national electoral commission.
Historic vote
The UN special representative for Liberia, Alan Doss, commended "the patience, the determination and the friendliness displayed by all Liberians" during Tuesday's balloting, the West African country's first democratic vote since civil war ended two years ago.
"While we do not know which candidates will be chosen as the newly elected leaders of a democratically elected government of Liberia, we do know that today Liberians voted, cast their ballots for peace and for a new Liberia," Doss said on Wednesday.
Africa's oldest republic
Voters also cast ballots for 30 senators and 64 representatives -- a bicameral system modeled on that of the US.
Freed slaves from the United States were resettled here before they founded Africa's oldest republic in 1847.
Liberia was once among Africa's richest countries, with vast fields of gems and valuable groves of hardwood trees and rubber plants. It has known little but strife since a first coup in 1980.
Years of war ended in 2003 after Taylor stepped down in a rebel invasion of the capital.
A transitional government led by Gyude Bryant has ruled the country since.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying