New Zealand’s government is to lay off nearly 9,000 workers, amounting to 14 percent of public sector jobs, by mid-2029 as part of a bid to slash billions in spending, Minister of Finance Nicola Willis said yesterday.
Willis said her administration would also enact three consecutive years of budget cuts for most public agencies, “significantly reduce” the number of departments and demand faster uptake of artificial intelligence (AI) technology across the sector.
The cutbacks would save NZ$2.4 billion (US$1.4 billion) during that period, she told a business audience in New Zealand’s biggest city, Auckland.
Photo: Reuters
Many public servants live and work in the capital, Wellington. Their numbers would be cut to 55,000, a drop of 8,700 from December last year, Willis said.
That would reduce the number of public servants to 1 percent of New Zealand’s population of 5.3 million people, she added, down from 1.2 percent.
“That’s unsustainable, it’s unaffordable and it’s out of step with international trends,” she said.
The military, teachers and doctors would be among those exempt from the job losses, Willis said.
The measures would also reduce the number of government departments and agencies from 39 to an unspecified figure.
However, the layoffs would not happen right away, and Willis did not detail a plan for deciding who would lose their jobs.
The center-right government, which has been in power since 2023 and campaigned then on downsizing the public sector, faces a fresh election in November.
Unions and opposition political parties decried the announcement.
“There is no way you can reduce that many people working for our public service without reducing front-line services,” said Labour Party and opposition leader Chris Hipkins.
Duane Leo, spokesperson for the union representing thousands of public servants, said the measures were “an act of willful destruction.”
The government, led by the National Party, blames what it says was fiscal recklessness by the previous center-left administration led by Labour for growing public servant numbers, which increased from 48,000 to 63,000 during Labour’s time in office.
In 2018, Labour revoked a cap on public sector jobs imposed by the last National government, saying that had prompted ballooning spending on contractors and consultants by agencies avoiding new full-time hires.
Most government agencies would have their funding trimmed by 2 percent in the government’s budget at the end of this month, Willis said.
Cuts of 5 percent per year would follow for each of the next two years if the government was re-elected.
The public sector “hasn’t been keeping pace” with advances in AI and digital technology, and would be required to adopt them, Willis said.
The pledge of public sector cutbacks comes as growth in New Zealand’s economy remains sluggish and Prime Minister Christopher Luxon, who sold himself as a better fiscal manager than his opponents, seeks to show evidence of economic recovery before November’s vote.
Luxon said that the prospect of a more efficient public sector was “exciting.”
“The public service is not a make-work function,” he said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in