The Swedish government yesterday said that it would buy four new frigates from France’s Naval Group as part of a rearmament effort launched after the war in Ukraine and its accession to NATO in 2024.
“This is one of the largest Swedish defense investments since the Gripen fighter jet was introduced in the 1980s,” Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said at press conference aboard a navy corvette in Stockholm.
“With this decision, I am convinced that Sweden is now helping to make the Baltic Sea significantly safer in the future,” he said.
Photo: Reuters
“It is a tripling of Sweden’s air defense capability compared with today,” he added.
The Nordic country had also evaluated offers from the UK’s Babcock together with Sweden’s own Saab and Spain’s Navantia.
Sweden opted for the French Fregate de Defense et d’Intervention (FDI) based on criteria including rapid delivery, a model already produced and proven, and the possibility of sharing costs, particularly with Greece, Kristersson said.
France said in August last year that it could deliver a “fully equipped” frigate as early as 2030.
The deal represents a success for the French group, which suffered a setback last year when Norway opted for British-built frigates.
The first frigate is to be delivered in 2030, followed by one per year over the next three years.
The “final price” will depend on what armaments and equipment are included.
When pressed for a ballpark figure, Swedish Minister of Defense Pal Jonson said the average price was expected at “just over 10 billion kronor [US$1.1 billion] each.”
France has already ordered five FDI frigates, with the first, the Amiral Ronarc’h, undergoing sea trials and expected to go into full service this year.
Greece has also ordered four of the multipurpose warship, designed to counter surface, submarine and aerial threats.
After the Cold War, Sweden slashed its defense spending as it focused military efforts on international peacekeeping missions.
It reversed course following Russia’s 2014 annexation of Crimea, and accelerated its increase in military spending following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. That prompted Sweden to reverse decades of neutrality and join NATO in 2024, and embark on a massive rearmament effort.
Defense spending is expected to reach 3.5 percent of GDP by 2030, up from 2.8 percent this year.
In the coming negotiations with Naval Group, Sweden would demand that Swedish systems can be integrated, citing in particular the anti-ship missiles of Swedish arms giant Saab and guns from BAE Systems Bofors, Jonson said.
Sweden and France have moved closer on defense in recent years, illustrated by several French orders from Saab.
French President Emmanuel Macron welcomed Sweden’s decision and “the trust placed in France” in a post on X.
In December, France said it would order two GlobalEye surveillance aircraft made by Saab for 12.3 billion kronor.
Saab also announced on Monday that it had received an order from France for 17 Giraffe 1X radars.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in