Indonesian police have arrested 13 people after shocking images of alleged abuse against small children at a daycare center went viral, sparking outrage across the nation, officials said on Monday.
Police on Friday last week raided Little Aresha, a daycare center in Yogyakarta on Java island, following a report from a former employee.
CCTV footage circulating on social media showed children, most younger than two, lying on the floor wearing only diapers, their hands and feet bound with rags. The police have confirmed that the footage is authentic.
Photo: AFP
Police said they also found 20 children crammed into a room just 3m by 3m.
“So far, 13 people have been named suspects” and arrested in the case, Yogyakarta Police Chief Eva Guna Pandia told reporters on Monday.
Those in custody include 11 carers, as well as the headmaster and the head of the foundation that ran the center.
They face a rash of charges including child neglect. Other charges could be added as the investigation unfolds.
Pandia said the suspects told police they had tied up some of the children to prevent them disturbing others.
They claimed the center was understaffed, with not enough personnel to bathe and dress the children, Yogyakarta detective Riski Adrian said.
The daycare center accommodated about 100 children, more than half of whom are believed to have been maltreated, police said.
Parent Noorman Windarto said that he was shocked when he received a telephone call from a fellow parent on Friday last week, urging him to pick up his two-year-old son.
He later learnt from police that the boy, who had been attending the center since he was three months old, was among those to have been tied up.
“My heart was shattered,” the 42-year-old civil servant said. “My wife cried. Most of them [caregivers] were women, and their body language was so tender, so soft-spoken, and appeared to be religious.”
Noorman paid about 1.1 million rupiah (US$64) — half the minimum wage in Yogyakarta — for each of his two children to attend the center, since shuttered.
His oldest child, a daughter now aged six, stopped going recently.
She sometimes came home with bruises which the daycare center said she must have gotten elsewhere, playing, Noorman said.
His son had been repeatedly hospitalized with pneumonia, which the father now suspects might have had something to do with him being made to sleep on a cold floor without clothes.
“I am very angry, furious,” Noorman said. “They must be punished as severely as possible.”
Under Indonesia’s child protection law, the suspects face up to five years in prison and a 100 million rupiah fine.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told