The Pakistani military on Monday killed at least seven civilians and wounded 85 others in an Afghan border province, a provincial health official said.
Hundreds of people have been killed since the two neighbors went to war in late February, according to UN data, although the violence has abated.
The Afghan government said Pakistani “mortars and rockets” hit homes and a university in Asadabad, the capital of eastern Kunar Province, and in another district.
Photo: AFP
Muzaffar Mukhlis, the provincial public health director, said “85 wounded and seven bodies have been brought” from border areas and Asadabad.
“The victims are all civilians,” he said.
A journalist in Kunar spoke to multiple residents who said their relatives were killed or wounded in the attacks.
The new toll raises an earlier figure of four killed and 70 wounded, given by Afghan deputy government spokesman Hamdullah Fitrat.
The Pakistani Ministry of Information and Broadcasting earlier denied attacking residential areas or the university, calling any such claim a “blatant lie.”
At a hospital in Asadabad, resident Sahatullah sat beside his nephew, who he said was one of multiple people wounded in one incident.
“He was playing outside, and shelling came and hit over there,” said the 22-year-old laborer, who gave only one name.
Zmarai Kunari, a 40-year-old teacher, said one of his relatives was killed and others were hurt.
“This is my brother. He was wounded in the shelling; he had gone to pick up his uncle,” he said at the hospital.
Kunar information chief Najibullah Hanif said Pakistani mortar fire and airstrikes hit three districts as well as Asadabad, where university accommodation and a neighborhood were struck.
The journalist in the provincial capital heard drones flying overhead on Monday evening, while Afghan forces boosted security measures with additional checkpoints.
The latest violence follows fierce fighting along the frontier this year, as well as unprecedented Pakistani airstrikes on Afghan cities, including the capital, Kabul.
A days-long ceasefire was agreed last month, and mediator China later said the warring sides had agreed to avoid escalation.
However, Afghans have since reported sporadic violence.
“We’ve been in a bad situation for almost two months. Sometimes the fighting is intense, and sometimes it’s not,” said Mushtaq Wazir, who lives in the border province of Paktika.
He said one person was killed in clashes on Monday, and four others wounded at the weekend.
Suhbat Katwazi, from Barmal, the same district of Paktika, said that Monday’s death was caused by a mortar shell that hit the person’s home.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told