The Eurovision Song Contest is famous for celebrating everything from cross-dressing ballad singers to heavy metal bands in monster masks, but geopolitics is threatening its 70th anniversary edition.
More than 1,000 artists last week urged a boycott, and several countries have already said they are staying away in protest over Israel’s participation.
Just eight years ago in Lisbon, the competition managed by Europe’s public broadcasters featured artists from 43 countries, but only 35 would be vying for the top prize on May 16 this year in Vienna, marking the smallest edition in the past few years.
Photo: AFP
While Israel’s presence poses a challenge this year, the world’s largest live music event has long been interwoven with politics, experts said.
Hungary quit the contest in 2020, a decision widely seen as linked to its increasingly conservative political line.
Belarus was suspended in 2021 for suppressing media freedom, while Russia got kicked out after its 2022 invasion of Ukraine.
Meanwhile, other countries including North Macedonia have pulled out in past years citing financial issues.
Sanctioning Russia created a precedent and sparked “a debate,” said Christina Oberg, Linnaeus University professor in Sweden and the author of several studies on how Eurovision has become a stage for geopolitical tensions against its will.
Some are asking “why they haven’t done the same with Israel in terms of saying that you’re not allowed into the competition” because of the massive civilian death toll from Israel’s two-year bombardment of Gaza, she said.
Five broadcasters, including Spain, are expected to boycott this year’s edition over Israel’s participation. This is an unprecedented move by one of the “big five,” as the Eurovision jargon calls the five largest financial contributors enjoying automatic qualification to the Grand Final. Iceland, Ireland, the Netherlands and Slovenia have also decided to snub the upcoming edition for the same reason, complaining that its political neutrality is no longer guaranteed.
More than 1,000 musicians around the world have signed a petition under the banner of “no music for genocide” to exclude Israel’s public broadcaster KAN “complicit” in “crimes” committed by Israel.
The signatories include star artists and bands such as Massive Attack, Peter Gabriel, Roger Waters and Sigur Ros.
Eurovision organizer, the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), has defended KAN in the past, arguing that it meets all criteria for independence.
It has also announced changes and safeguards to the public voting system following accusations of manipulation in favor of the Israeli candidate last year.
If more broadcasters quit, it would be “sort of a slow death ... because you need a certain amount of countries within it for it to still feel like this is for everyone,” Oberg said.
Hosting this year’s edition, Austria has labeled any cultural boycott as “stupid and pointless.”
However, it was Austria that led the way by snubbing the 1969 edition in Madrid “because of the dictatorship of Francisco Franco,” Croatian-Australian Eurovision historian Dean Vuletic said.
Eurovision remains a major tool for promoting inclusion and tolerance, and analysts agree it has always been more than a singing contest.
Artists parade under their countries’ flags, and the event is broadcast live across Europe, providing an outstanding platform augmented by social media.
With 166 million viewers claimed last year, the financial stakes are high for Eurovision, which has become a brand to protect.
“When the EBU started to attract sponsors in the late 1990s, produce merchandise, place the contest in larger halls and sell tickets to the public, it also started taking steps to avoid any damage to the contest’s image,” Vuletic said.
Further tensions could arise this year as the spotlight would be on Denmark “in a way that never happened before,” said Lisanne Wilken from Aarhus University in Denmark.
“The situation with Greenland and [US President Donald] Trump has put Denmark even more on the map,” she said.
Trump’s strident claims on the vast arctic territory that belongs to Denmark have stirred a wave of concern and resistance within the EU.
Experts predict that Danish entry Soren Torpegaard Lund could benefit from a wave of empathy.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told