A senior New Zealand minister has sparked outrage by deriding a planned free-trade deal with India as a “butter chicken tsunami.”
Wellington is poised to sign a free-trade agreement with India in New Delhi next week.
The New Zealand government has hailed it as a “once in a generation” deal that would give its businesses access to the world’s most populated country’s vast domestic market.
Photo: AFP
However, its ruling coalition partner, the right-wing populist New Zealand (NZF) First party, has pulled support over fears it would open the country’s borders to thousands of Indian nationals.
The split would mean the government would need the opposition Labour Party to vote in favor when legislation goes before parliament in the coming months.
NZF deputy leader and New Zealand Minister for Regional Development Shane Jones on Monday said that his party would “never accept” the deal.
“I don’t care how much criticism we get, I am just never going to agree with a butter chicken tsunami coming to New Zealand,” Jones told Reality Check Radio.
The comments were widely condemned as racist by Indian community groups in New Zealand.
“It’s incredibly worrying for everybody,” Auckland Indian Association president Shanti Patel told public broadcaster RNZ.
Opposition lawmaker Priyanca Radhakrishnan described the comments as “outright racism.”
“It’s unacceptable and politicians shouldn’t be making statements like he has,” she said.
New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon called Jones’ comments “unhelpful.”
Under the deal, more than 20,000 Indian migrants could enter the country, officials said.
NZF also raised concerns about a NZ$34 billion (US$20.11 billion) investment New Zealand is bound by the deal to make in India over 15 years.
Labour Party officials have cited similar concerns regarding the investment.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told