Australia yesterday said that a woman would lead its army for the first time in history, as part of a reshuffle of the nation’s defense force leadership.
Lieutenant General Susan Coyle, the current chief of joint capabilities, is to become chief of army in July, the government said in a statement. She is to replace Lieutenant General Simon Stuart.
Coyle’s appointment comes as Australia’s military seeks to boost the number of female officers in its ranks. It faces a wave of allegations of systematic sexual harassment and discrimination.
Photo: AFP / Australian Defence Force
“From July, we will have the first ever female chief of army in the Australian Army’s 125-year history,” Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said in a statement.
Australian Minister for Defence Richard Marles called Coyle’s appointment a “deeply historic moment.”
“As Susan said to me, you cannot be what you cannot see,” Marles said. “Susan’s achievement will be deeply significant to women who are serving in the Australian Defence Force [ADF] today and women who are thinking about serving in the Australian Defence Force in the future.”
Coyle, 55, enlisted in the military in 1987 and has held a number of senior command roles. She is to be the first woman to lead any service branch of the military, Marles said.
Women currently make up about 21 percent of the ADF and 18.5 percent of senior leadership roles. The ADF has set a target of 25 percent of overall participation for women by 2030.
A class action lawsuit was filed on October last year against the ADF, alleging it failed to protect thousands of female officers from systematic sexual assault, harassment and discrimination.
The government yesterday also appointed Vice Admiral Mark Hammond, the current chief of the navy, as the head of the ADF, succeeding Admiral David Johnston.
Deputy chief of navy, Rear Admiral Matthew Buckley, is to replace Hammond as head of the branch.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in