Human factors rendered ineffective almost all the fire safety measures at the site of a Hong Kong blaze that killed 168 people in November last year, the lead lawyer for a panel led by a judge that is investigating the inferno said yesterday.
The committee set up by Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee (李家超) to recommend preventive measures began hearings into the territory’s deadliest fire in decades at the high-rise Wang Fuk housing complex in Tai Po District.
“Only by confronting past mistakes can the city become safer,” said the lawyer, Victor Dawes, as he detailed evidence regarding the blaze in the complex of eight blocks that were under extensive renovation.
Photo: AP
CCTV images and videos shot by the public before and during the blaze, including scenes of construction workers smoking at the site, were played for the committee to review.
“My family member has passed away, it’s been hard to watch so many videos, it’s like witnessing the whole process,” said a former resident, Phyllis, who lost her mother in the fire and received the videos before the hearing.
Phyllis, who gave only one name, told reporters that she wanted to know the cause of the fire.
Other residents said they wanted to know why the fire alarms never sounded.
In 2024, authorities told residents that fire risks were “relatively low” following their complaints about fire hazards posed by the renovations, the Hong Kong Labour Department said earlier.
Dawes detailed five major problems, among them the shutting down of fire alarms in seven blocks, and the removal of staircase and corridor windows to give access to scaffolding for workers, allowing smoke and flames to enter residents’ escape routes.
Fire hydrants and hose reels were shut off and netting that was not flame-retardant was used, Dawes said.
Cigarette butts were suspected to be the cause of the blaze, according to a report by an inter-departmental task force, he added.
Residents’ repeated complaints about workers smoking had not been taken seriously by authorities, he said.
Investigators found butts on the scaffolding and platforms, and in light wells, Dawes said.
Dozens of residents and members of the public arrived early yesterday to attend the proceedings at a public conference hall.
Judge David Lok (陸啟康), who chaired the hearing, said that it aimed to find the causes of the fire, and the extent of the problem of bid-rigging by contractors and developers across building projects in Hong Kong.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in