The death of a former head of China’s one-child policy has been met not by tributes, but by castigation of the abandoned policy on social media this week.
State media praised Peng Peiyun (彭珮雲), former head of China’s National Family Planning Commission from 1988 to 1998, as “an outstanding leader” in her work related to women and children.
The reaction on Chinese social media to Peng’s death in Beijing on Sunday, just shy of her 96th birthday, was less positive.
Photo: Reuters
“Those children who were lost, naked, are waiting for you over there” in the afterlife, one person posted on China’s Sina Weibo platform.
China’s near-universal mandate of just one child per couple from 1980 through 2015 prompted local officials to compel women to undergo abortions and sterilizations.
Beijing launched the one-child policy because leaders worried about population growth potentially spiraling out of control.
However, China’s population, long the world’s highest, later slowed and last year tumbled for the third year in a row.
“If the one-child policy had been implemented for 10 years less, China’s population would not have plummeted like this!” a Sina Weibo post said.
After falling behind India in 2023, China’s population declined last year to 1.39 billion. Experts warn the downtrend would accelerate in coming years. Data for this year is to be released next month.
As population czar, Peng focused her commission’s work on the countryside.
In rural China, large families were once seen as a goal for couples looking to ensure that they would be taken care of in their old age. Sons who could carry on the family name were also favored, leading to unwanted infant girls and even aborted female fetuses.
“Those children, if they were born, would be almost 40 years old, in the prime of their lives,” one person posted on Sina Weibo.
By the 2010s, Peng had publicly shifted her views, saying that the one-child policy should be eased. Now Beijing is trying to boost the flagging birthrate with childcare subsidies, longer maternity leave and tax benefits.
The shrinking and graying of the population has spurred worries that the world’s second-biggest economy would struggle as the number of workers declines.
Rising costs from elderly care and retirement benefits would also likely create additional budgetary strains for already indebted local governments.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told