Nigeria has officially joined the BRICS group of emerging-market powers.
BRICS, which stands for Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, has been pushing to expand in recent years as it grows in clout and has accepted other countries including Egypt, Ethiopia, Indonesia and the United Arab Emirates.
The enlarged alliance might challenge the US dollar’s dominance in oil and gas trading and become a stronger counterweight to the G7.
Photo: EPA-EFE
Nigeria’s acceptance of the BRICS’ invitation was communicated by Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs acting spokesperson Kimiebi Ebienfa in a statement on Saturday.
“Nigeria has accepted the invitation to join BRICS as a partner country. The formal acceptance to participate as a partner country underscores Nigeria’s commitment to fostering international collaboration, leveraging economic opportunities and advancing strategic partnerships that align with Nigeria’s development objectives,” it said.
“BRICS, as a collective of major emerging economies, presents a unique platform for Nigeria to enhance trade, investment and socio-economic cooperation with member countries,” it added.
Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, has been battling soaring inflation and is to roll out new rules to simplify its tax system.
The level of tax collection is one of the lowest globally, constraining Nigeria’s public finances and limiting how much it can invest in essential services and infrastructure, the World Bank has said.
Last month, China and Nigeria renewed a 15 billion yuan (US$2 billion) currency-swap arrangement designed to boost trade and investment between the two countries.
Separately, 77 people have died in north-central Nigeria after a gasoline tanker exploded, the country’s emergency response agency said.
The blast happened in the early hours of Saturday near the Suleja area of Niger state after individuals attempted to transfer gasoline from one tanker to another truck using a generator.
The fuel transfer sparked the explosion, resulting in the deaths of those transferring the gasoline and bystanders, said Hussaini Isah, of Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency.
Search and rescue operations were under way, he said.
Additional reporting by staff reporter
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told