Israel’s killing of Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah leaves the group under huge pressure to deliver a resounding response to silence suspicions that the once seemingly invincible movement is a spent force, analysts said.
Widely seen as the most powerful man in Lebanon before his death on Friday, Nasrallah was the face of Hezbollah and Israel’s arch-nemesis for more than 30 years.
His group had gained an aura of invincibility for its part in forcing Israel to withdraw troops from southern Lebanon in 2000, waging a devastating 33-day-long war in 2006 against Israel and opening a “support front” in solidarity with Gaza since October last year.
Photo: AFP
However, Nasrallah’s killing in Hezbollah’s southern Beirut bastion known as Dahiyeh was the culmination of two weeks of unprecedented blows to the Iran-backed group either claimed by Israel or blamed on it.
“If, at this point, Hezbollah does not respond with a strategic strike using its arsenal of long-range, precision-guided missiles, one must assume they simply can’t,” said Heiko Wimmen, project director for Iraq, Syria and Lebanon at the International Crisis Group.
“Either we see an unprecedented reaction by Hezbollah… or this is total defeat,” he said.
Hezbollah has been the most powerful group in Lebanon for decades and the only one that has kept its arms after the end of the Lebanese Civil War which lasted from 1975 to 1990.
However, after nearly one year of low-intensity cross-border fighting, Israel has shifted the focus of its operation from Gaza to Lebanon, where heavy bombing since Monday last week has killed hundreds of people and displaced about 118,000.
This week’s air assault followed pager and walkie-talkie blasts that targeted operatives of Hezbollah, killing 39 and wounding nearly 3,000.
In the past week, Israeli strikes on southern Beirut have killed one top Hezbollah commander after the other.
Sam Heller, an analyst at the New York-based think tank Century Foundation, said a lack of deterrence after such an important leader’s killing could encourage Israel to press on even further.
In nearly a year of cross-border fighting with Israel, Hezbollah “haven’t mustered the more dramatic capabilities that most of us had assumed it held in reserve,” even as its foe intensified raids and conducted sophisticated operations, he said.
Hezbollah’s capabilities might have been “oversold” or completely obliterated by Israel, he added.
Since the 2006 war in which Hezbollah “defeated the Israelis,” the group had “maintained this long-time deterrent equation,” Heller said, adding that “now, it seems evident Hezbollah cannot protect... itself.”
Amal Saad, a Lebanese researcher of Hezbollah and lecturer at Cardiff University, said that after the enormous blow to the now leaderless group, it would need to strike a delicate balance in choosing a response.
On the one hand, Hezbollah would seek to avoid triggering an Israeli “carpet bombing campaign against Beirut or all of Lebanon,” while “at the same time raising the morale” of its supporters and fighters, she said.
Hezbollah would need to show it can protect its own people, exact revenge on Israel, but also keep the peace among Lebanon’s diverse religious communities, she added.
Shiite Lebanese, which constitute the group’s support base, are among the tens of thousands displaced from Lebanon’s south, east and Dahiyeh by Israel’s bombardment — seeking shelter in areas where other religious communities live.
Mohanad Hage Ali, deputy director of research at the Carnegie Middle East Center, said Hezbollah had been “paralyzed” by its recent reverses, but warned against writing the group off for good.
“It requires new leadership, a system of communications and to restore its narrative and speak to its support base,” he said.
However, “it will be quite difficult to imagine the organization wither away that quickly,” he added.
Saad said that Hezbollah as an underground armed group was “designed to absorb shocks like this,” citing the killing of top Hezbollah commander Imad Mughniyeh killed in a 2008 Damascus car bombing blamed on Israel.
“When the dust settles Hezbollah is not a one-man show,” she said.
Nasrallah “is not a mythological figure. He’s a person,” she added.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying