Aborigines belonging to Australia’s Stolen Generations yesterday accused the government of prolonging their suffering by failing to implement recommendations from a landmark report 20 years ago that investigated the forced removal from their families.
The term “Stolen Generations” refers to the thousands of Aboriginal children who were taken from their homes and put in foster care with white families or institutions under assimilation policies that ended only in the early 1970s. Many never saw their parents or siblings again.
The pivotal Bringing Them Home report in 1997, which followed a national inquiry into the tragedy, acknowledged the human rights violations suffered and set out measures to support those affected.
One of the key demands mentioned in the report was a national apology, which came in 2008.
However, two decades on, victims said that while funding had been provided for counseling, cultural programs and family support, they continued to face institutional racism and cited a failure to properly address mental health issues.
“For many Stolen Generations members, this has created additional trauma and distress,” Bringing Them Home 20 Years On, a new study by Aboriginal support organization The Healing Foundation, said.
“The resulting trauma has been passed down to children and grandchildren, contributing to many of the issues faced in indigenous communities, including family violence, substance abuse and self harm,” it said.
One of the victims, Lorraine Peeters, was taken from her family aged four and placed in the Cootamundra Domestic Training Home for Aboriginal Girls, where she was “brainwashed to act, speak, dress and think white.”
“We were not allowed to talk in our language or about culture or about our families. It wasn’t until I was in my fifties that I suffered a mental health issue, trauma. There was an Aboriginal person inside, screaming to get out,” she said.
“Behavior is learnt. If my children are watching me have anxiety, fear, drinking issues to numb the pain, that behavior is learnt by little people. That will continue. We have to revisit the recommendations that haven’t been implemented,” Peeters said.
The new report called for a national study into inter-generational trauma and a full assessment of the continuing and changing needs of Stolen Generations members as they age.
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull responded to the report saying there was “much unfinished business.”
“Your report will guide us on the progress we are yet to make,” he said. “We’ll carefully consider the recommendations.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in