The little blue flowers that have grown for a century now in France near the graves of the war dead at Douaumont can easily be mistaken for local forget-me-nots.
In fact they are a foreign import: A flower brought as seeds on the hooves of US Army horses used at Verdun during World War I.
“They call it the blue-eyed grass from Montana,” French National Forests Office official Patrice Hirbec said.
Sisyrinchium montanum, best known as American blue-eyed grass, is part of a rich legacy left by the carnage of World War I in France’s forest of Verdun, which is a unique mix of flora and fauna.
The Battle of Verdun was one of the longest and bloodiest battles of the war.
Launched in February 1916, it lasted 300 days, killing in this region alone more than 300,000 soldiers and making Verdun synonymous with the wanton slaughter that characterized the war.
Jean-Paul Amat, a professor of geography at Sorbonne University in Paris said the fighting caused so much upheaval that the soil went through the equivalent of 10,000 years of natural erosion.
“The flowers and plants there simply adapted to the turmoil,” Hirbec said.
In some places, the soil was so dry that thyme started to grow, while elsewhere pear trees sprang up, a reminder of the orchards destroyed in the fighting, or perhaps a clue to the soldiers’ diet.
On the other side of the battle lines, the Germans made their own contribution, said Stephanie Jacquemot, an archaeologist with the region’s cultural affairs section.
That is why gentian, a flower not normally found in the region, grows there. Perhaps the German soldiers used it to make gentian eau-de-vie, a spirit normally found in Alpine regions.
Lurking in the craters left by shelling are crested newts — as well as yellow-bellied toads, which are even rarer, while bat colonies inhabit abandoned fortifications.
In addition, “there are 15 species of ferns,” Hirbec said as he stooped to pick up a shell fragment, adding that orchids bloom in May and June.
The fort at Douaumont offers a panoramic view of the forest below, studded with pines that were planted after the war.
About 20,000 hectares of the Meuse region had been devastated and needed to be replanted.
The day after the armistice was signed on Nov. 11, 1918, France decided ruled no one would ever be allowed to live there.
Millions of shells had wreaked havoc on the land, robbing the soil of the humus that made it fertile.
Thousands of hardy Austrian pine trees were planted, using saplings Vienna gave as part of its war reparations.
Between 1923 and 1931, 36 million trees were planted along the German and French fortifications, around the trenches and around the bodies of the dead.
Even today, about 80,000 soldiers rest among the orchids and the pines.
“This forest is their shroud,” Hirbec said.
To visit these sites, as well as caring for them, is to honor the fallen, he added.
The office has joined forces with the local authority and France’s Fondation Patrimoine (Heritage Foundation) to raise funds for a network of trails winding through the trenches, ruined villages and what is left of the fortifications, to keep the memory of the war alive.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told