The McCafe opened on Friday last week in the former residence of former president Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國), near West Lake in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province.
A side wing of the two-storey wood and brick lakeside villa had already been turned into a Starbucks last month.
Chiang lived in the Western-style villa with his family for a short time in 1948. Local authorities had been trying to rent out the building, which is officially listed as a historical site, for years, according to local reports.
Photo: AFP
“Why have they not opened a KFC at Yan’an [the birthplace of the Chinese Communist Party revolution]?” one user wrote on a microblog.
Another said: “The sign [on the building] says it is a heritage site. It should retain its original history and culture. As it is historical heritage, it should not be commercialized!”
However, another, describing herself as an architecture student in Hangzhou, said: “McDonald’s have maintained the old structure and have kept the original Chinese style. It is not only heritage protection, it is also convenient for tourists.”
Chiang’s grandson, Demos Chiang (蔣友柏), has previously said that he was approached to take part in the building’s restoration, but refused to cooperate once he discovered it was being turned into a McDonald’s.
A McDonald’s spokesperson declined to comment.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying