A Mark Rothko painting sold for US$46.5 million on Tuesday at a Sotheby’s auction in New York, an evening in which several records were set, including one for a work by German artist Sigmar Polke.
The Rothko work Untitled, (Yellow and Blue), measuring 2.42m by 1.86m and completed in 1954, had been estimated at between US$40 million and US$60 million.
It was one of the star pieces of the evening of auctions of contemporary works, including one by Roy Lichtenstein titled The Ring. Sotheby’s had expected it would go for US$50 million, but in the end it sold for US$41.69 million.
Photo: AP
Another highlight of the sale, Abstraktes Bild by Germany’s Gerhard Richter, was auctioned for US$28.25 million, just under its presale estimate of US$30 million.
None of the three set a record.
However, several other artists did set records for sales at auction, including Polke. His painting Dschungel (1967) went for US$27.13 million, three times the previous price for one of his works, according to Sotheby’s. Prior to the auction, it had been estimated at about US$20 million — for an artist Sotheby’s said was virtually unknown until 2011.
A huge painting by Christopher Wool, Riot, went for US$29.93 million, compared with a presale estimate ranging from US$12 million to US$18 million — a record for a living US artist.
Mark Grotjahn, 47, also of the US, broke his own record with a work called Untitled (Into and Behind the Green Eyes of the Tiger Monkey Face). It went for US$6.52 million.
Sotheby’s also sold several works by Andy Warhol, including Superman, which went for US$14.36 million (estimated at US$6 million to US$8 million) and Mao for US$14.4 million. It had been estimated at US$13 million to US$16 million. The estimates do not include costs and fees, unlike the final auction prices.
On Monday, a Picasso oil painting, The Women of Algiers (Version 0), smashed records for sales at auction by going for US$179 million.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told