Serbia has uncovered a mass grave believed to contain the bodies of some 250 ethnic Albanians killed during the 1998-1999 conflict in Kosovo, its war crimes prosecutor said yesterday.
“Serbia’s war crimes prosecution office and EULEX [the EU’s law and police mission in Kosovo] together uncovered the mass grave with presumably 250 bodies of Kosovo Albanians,” prosecutor Vladimir Vukcevic said.
The grave was found in a pond at a quarry in the southwestern Serbian town of Raska, near the border with Kosovo, he said.
Exhumation is expected to begin soon, after the number of victims was estimated from witnesses statements and analysis of aerial photographs.
“This is more proof that Serbia does not shy away from its dark past and is ready to bring to justice all those who have committed crimes” regardless of their nationality or position, Vukcevic said.
COVER UP
During the conflict, security forces controlled by then Serbian president Slobodan Milosevic transported the remains of hundreds of ethnic Albanian civilians to several locations in Serbia, including the capital Belgrade, in a bid to cover up mass killings and war crimes.
In 2001, the remains of more than 830 Kosovo Albanians were found at three sites in Serbia.
More than 700 bodies were meanwhile uncovered in a mass grave located within a special anti-terrorist police unit’s compound in the Belgrade suburb of Batajnica suburb.
Seventy-seven other corpses were found in the same police unit’s training center in the eastern Serbian town of Petrovo Selo, and 50 bodies were uncovered nearby the western Serbian town of Perucac.
Vlastimir Djordjevic, a former top police official and Serbian deputy interior minister during the Kosovo conflict, is believed to have ordered the vast cover-up operation.
PERSECUTION
Djordjevic is currently on trial before the Hague-based UN war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia on charges of deportation, forcible transfer, murder and persecution of Kosovo Albanians during the conflict.
According to the provisional list of a joint Kosovo-Serbian working group tasked with shedding light on the fate of persons unaccounted for in the Kosovo war, 1,862 people are still missing. More than 1,000 are ethnic Albanians.
The conflict in Kosovo claimed about 13,000 victims, most of them ethnic Albanians. The war ended after a NATO bombing campaign in 1999 ousted Serb armed forces from the province, which was then put under UN administration.
Kosovo declared independence in 2008 — a move recognized by the US and most EU member states, but challenged by Belgrade.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told