The trial of 28 people accused of trying to kill the president and prime minister of East Timor in a failed twin assassination attempt opened yesterday under tight security.
East Timorese President Jose Ramos-Horta required emergency surgery after being shot multiple times outside his home in the attack in Feb. 11 last year. Gunmen also opened fire on the car of Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao, who escaped unhurt.
The suspects, including former soldiers and an Australian citizen, appeared in a court in Dili on charges ranging from attempted murder to conspiracy to murder over the attacks.
PHOTO: EPA
Rebel leader Alfredo Reinado was killed in the assault on Ramos-Horta’s home. His girlfriend Angelita Pires, an East Timor-born Australian, is accused of taking part in the attack.
“Angelita Pires supplied clothes and medicine to Alfredo Reinado and his friends,” a prosecutor told the court.
He also said she gave them “cigarettes which can reduce fear” — a possible reference to narcotics — and encouraged Reinado to kill the country’s leaders.
Pires told reporters outside the courtroom before the trial began that she would “fight for justice.”
In an interview with Australia’s ABC TV: she said: “I’ll never plead guilty and I’ll never accept a pardon. Why should I? … Accept a pardon for what? For something I haven’t committed?
State prosecutors began the trial by ejecting Pires’ two lawyers, an Australian and a Brazilian, forcing them into the public gallery.
Her coaccused are a group of soldiers who deserted en masse in 2006 and their commander, Gastao Salsinha, who took over from Reinado as the rebel chief.
“Gastao Salsinha was the one that launched the ambush on February 11, 2008 and the shooting at the prime minister’s convoy,” the indictment says.
Salsinha denied the allegations in court.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told