Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim claimed yesterday that many lawmakers in the ruling coalition wanted to defect to his camp after their election debacle.
Anwar told reporters he had been approached by many ruling party lawmakers who won in the March 8 general elections. They are welcome to defect, but no bribes will be paid to make them to cross over, he said.
"We will remain consistent and committed to the code of ethics. If you want to surrender at a price you have chosen the wrong party," he told reporters.
Buying political support, especially by paying voters money, is common in Malaysia and bribing lawmakers to defect, while not widespread, is known to occur.
The three-party opposition alliance stitched together by Anwar won an unprecedented 82 seats in the 222-member parliament in the elections. It needs 30 more lawmakers to get a majority needed to unseat the National Front coalition's government.
Anwar's claim could not be immediately confirmed, but would add to persistent rumors of political horse-trading in the aftermath of the disastrous poll results for Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi's coalition.
Abdullah says he has the full support of his party and has rejected calls to step down. But Anwar's claim, if true, would add pressure on him to keep the party together.
Anwar did not say how many National Front members have approached him, but said they belonged to Abdullah's United Malays National Organization, the main party in the National Front, as well as other smaller parties.
"People have approached and discussed ... but no one dared raise the issue of price [of defection] to me," he said, without elaborating. He said he believes some will eventually defect, even without monetary inducement.
But he refused to say if the numbers would be enough to topple the National Front government, which is facing its worst political crisis in the 51 years it has been in power.
Anwar said many of those who approached him won their seats from Sabah and Sarawak states on Borneo island, which have emerged as UMNO's political stronghold after its spectacular loss of support in mainland Malaysia.
The National Front won 54 out of the 56 seats in the two states, accounting for nearly 39 percent of its total 140 seats it Parliament. Most of the 54 seats were won by UMNO candidates.
Meanwhile, an Islamic opposition legislator was sworn in yesterday as the chief minister of the northern state of Perak, ending a power struggle that threatened to undercut spectacular electoral strides by the fragile opposition alliance.
Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin of the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party, took an oath of office to become the new chief minister for a five-year term, leading a state government that comprises three opposition groups, party spokesman Asmuni Awi said.
The three parties in the opposition alliance managed to wrest Perak's state legislature from Abdullah's ruling coalition in the elections, but their triumph has been marred over the past week by infighting over the chief minister's post and other power-sharing arrangements.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told