A female suicide bomber killed the head of a local security group northeast of Baghdad yesterday, the targeted leader's brother and provincial police said. A child and a security guard were also killed.
The woman, wearing an explosives belt, entered the house of Sheik Thaeir Ghadhban al-Karkhi in the predominantly Sunni town of Kanaan, 20km east of Baqubah in Diyala Province, and blew herself up, said Duraid Mahmoud, the sheik's brother.
A provincial police official, speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to release the information, confirmed the attack.
PHOTO: AFP
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but al-Qaeda in Iraq has been targeting fellow Sunni Arabs who have taken up arms against the militants and joined the so-called awakening councils like the one al-Karkhi led.
The councils are made up of US-backed former insurgents who have risen up against al-Qaeda's brutality and the strict Islamic codes of conduct it was trying to impose on local populations.
Mahmoud, the sheik's brother, said the bomber had visited the sheik's house on Sunday, claiming that her husband had been kidnapped and asking for help.
Mahmoud said his brother told the woman to return yesterday.
"She came back this morning and nobody checked her. She had an appointment with the sheik and the guards told her to go and knock on his door," Mahmoud said.
The woman was ushered into the house and blew herself up once she got close to the sheik, Mahmoud said.
Meanwhile, anti-US cleric Moqtada al-Sadr will remain in overall charge of his Shiite radical movement even as he steps back from its day-to-day operations to pursue his religious studies, aides said yesterday.
Sadr has no intention of quitting Iraqi politics despite the widespread perception that he was withdrawing after he admitted on Friday that there were splits within his movement, the aides said.
Sadr has "not ceased his contact with us and he remains in control of strategic decisions," said Liwa Sumaysim, the head of the movement's political bureau.
On Friday, the cleric admitted that some of the movement's leaders had broken away after he ordered a six-month extension to a freeze on the activities of its Mehdi Army militia which he first announced last year.
"Many of my close companions have departed for worldly reasons, some of them want to be independent," Sadr said.
"The fact that a number of people did not return to their hawza [religious school] and the fact that many are meddling in political lives while we thought they were loyal has made me isolate myself," he said.
Sadr's spokesman in Najaf, Sheikh Salah al-Obeidi, said the cleric's statement should not be seen as a decision to quit politics.
"The letter does not mean that Sadr wants to isolate himself from the political sphere," Obeidi said.
He has "found a new way to deal with day-to-day issues, focusing on the essentials, which is knowledge and religion, and following the events from a distance," Obeidi said.
Also see: Passing on the cost of conflict to future generations
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying