Thousands of protesters, some shouting "Gloria Arroyo, the fake president!," massed yesterday to press the Philippine leader to resign over vote-rigging claims that have shaken her hold on power.
Troops and police went on full alert, saying they feared communist rebels or Islamic militants could mount terror attacks under cover of the rally in Manila's Makati financial district.
Opponents had hoped for a "people power" protest of up to 50,000 to keep up pressure on Arroyo, who is clinging on tenaciously despite the resignation of 10 top officials last Friday over claims she stole last year's election.
"Do a Nixon now. Please resign," read one sticker referring to the resignation of former US president Richard Nixon.
But early signs were of a smaller turnout, easing the pressure on Arroyo whose predecessor Joseph Estrada fell in 2001 to an army-backed mass protest.
Makati police officer Maricris Boto estimated the crowd numbered 30,000-35,000 in the late afternoon.
Michael Defensor, the environment secretary and a trusted Arroyo aide, said about an hour before the 3pm scheduled start of the rally that he was surprised at the small turnout.
In any case, he had told reporters in the morning, even a crowd of half a million would not make Arroyo quit.
"Will she resign? No, not ever. She will not leave the presidential palace," he said.
Protesters massed at several sites, under a sea of banners, before converging on the main venue. Loudspeakers blared excerpts of wiretapped telephone conversations which have embroiled the US-educated economist in scandal.
Supporters of Estrada and of the late Fernando Poe, the man who lost to Arroyo in last year's vote, were among those at the rally. Banks pulled down their shutters but no violent incidents were reported by late afternoon.
Jejomar Binay, Makati's mayor and a protest leader, accused police of harassing vehicle convoys driving to the rally.
An AFP photographer saw police stop a 30-vehicle convoy of protesters in the town of Sipocot, southeast of Manila, late Tuesday.
"I don't like Gloria. Naturally in our place no one likes Gloria," said a 60-year-old Makati market stallholder. "We all have to attend, they take our attendance."
The mayor of the district is a prominent opposition leader.
"If we don't attend, we could lose our vending slots," the woman added.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told