A young woman who admitted to lying about being the victim of an anti-Semitic attack was convicted on Monday for fabricating a story that stunned France.
Marie Leblanc, 22, was handed a four-month suspended sentence, ordered to receive counseling and put under probation for two years at the hearing north of Paris.
Defense lawyers and her mother have described the woman as psychologically fragile and deeply sorry for her lie, which created an uproar as the French government is trying to combat a rise in anti-Semitic and other hate crimes.
The woman claimed she was robbed on a suburban Paris train earlier this month by a knife-wielding gang that mistook her for a Jew and scrawled swastikas on her body.
President Jacques Chirac reacted immediately, calling the alleged attack a "shameful act."
Explaining herself to journalists, Leblanc said she made up the story to get attention from her parents and her boyfriend.
"I wanted people to take care of me," she told the court. "I was conscious that I had told a lie but I didn't think it would get so much media attention."
Doubts were raised when police found no clues or witnesses. After learning the woman had a history of lying and filing complaints about assaults that were never proved, police detained the woman for questioning.
The woman subsequently went on national TV to issue a public apology.
"I offer my apologies to the president ... and people who demonstrated their support for my lie," she said on France-3 TV last weekend, with her back to the camera. "I regret this act and I ask for forgiveness to those I deceived and hurt."
The court also ordered Leblanc to pay a symbolic fine of one euro (US$1) to France's national train operator, the SNCF.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in