Two New Zealanders and two Australians were killed and two others injured when they were swept 500m down a mountain by an avalanche in New Zealand's notorious Aoraki-Mt Cook National Park yesterday, police said.
It is the second tragedy to claim four lives there in three weeks after four Latvian climbers plummeted to their deaths from near the summit of Mt Cook on Dec. 10.
The dead were identified as New Zealanders Dave Hiddleston and Paul Scaife, and Australians Andrew Platt and Dave Gardner.
Two two survivors, whose names were not released, were in hospital, one in a serious condition with head injuries.
"Three people died at the scene and one later at Mt Cook village," police said.
Three of the four were mountain climbing guides and the avalanche struck as the party of six was climbing a steep part of Mount Tasman, one of 19 peaks more than 3,000m high in the Aoraki-Mt Cook National Park.
Mt Cook is New Zealand's highest peak at 3,754m, and the region has been described as a playground for adrenaline junkies and it attracts thousands of visitors from around the world each year.
There have been at least seven other rescue operations since the southern summer climbing season began.
Mountaineer Noel Pullan, an expert on conditions in the area, said about 250 climbers would be in the region at this time of year.
"It has been a very bad season so far," Arthur McBride of Alpine Guides said, adding it was unclear what caused the avalanche.
McBride said Mt Cook village was in shock.
Meteorologist spokesman Gerard Bellam said conditions were near perfect for climbing.
"It was fine with a southwest breeze. It is not surprising there were people up there, as it was suitable weather to climb the mountain today."
Mt Cook, in New Zealand's Southern Alps, has claimed a heavy toll since it was first scaled 99 years ago with more than 200 people killed.
In the worst recorded tragedy, five climbers died on Jan. 19, 1930, when they were caught in a blizzard.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in