Samsung Electronics Co. reached a tentative deal with its labor union late Wednesday night, averting what had threatened to be a crippling strike at the world’s largest memory chipmaker.
The South Korean company said in a statement late Wednesday that “labor and management have reached a tentative agreement on wages and the collective bargaining agreement.”
The company’s union also released a statement confirming the suspension of plans for a strike scheduled for May 21 to June 7. The union also notified members that they would participate in a vote on the tentative 2026 wage agreement from 9 a.m. on May 23 to 10 a.m. on May 28.
Photo: AP
About 48,000 Samsung Electronics workers are set to walk off the job today after talks on bonus payments broke off without a deal — a strike that threatens the health of South Korea’s economy and could hit the global chip supply.
Hopes for a deal in the not-too-distant future were kept alive, after discussions resumed late yesterday afternoon, now mediated by South Korean Minister of Employment and Labor Kim Young-hoon.
Earlier in the day, union leader Choi Seung-ho told reporters that the union had accepted a final proposal presented by the head of the National Labor Relations Commission, but the 18-day strike would go ahead, as management had not come around on one remaining sticking point.
“I would like to apologize to the public for not being able to produce a good result despite making as many concessions as possible,” he said, bowing and holding back tears. “We will not cease our efforts to reach a deal even during the strike.”
Samsung said in a statement that the union had insisted on “unacceptable demands” that included the size of bonuses for loss-making units.
“The reason an agreement could not be reached ... is that accepting the labor union’s excessive demands would undermine the fundamental principles of company management,” it said.
Samsung shares yesterday closed up 0.2 percent and have lost 2.8 percent for the week to date.
Some investors have said they are more concerned about the prospects of a permanent spike in labor costs than they are about the one-off costs of the strike.
Much attention would now turn to whether the government would step in and order emergency arbitration as it warned it might do over the weekend, citing the potential damage the strike could inflict on the economy.
Samsung accounts for almost one-quarter of South Korea’s exports and is also the world’s largest memorychip maker, so production disruptions are likely to further fuel price rises amid chip shortages.
An emergency arbitration order, which has been rarely employed, would put the strike on hold for 30 days while the government mediates talks.
However, a South Korean government official yesterday said that talk of emergency arbitration is premature and that there was still time for dialogue.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying