Ford Motor Co workers face a "Black Monday" when the auto giant announces huge job cuts and plant closures in a new bid to counter the loss in market share to Asian rivals.
News reports said 29,000 job cuts and 10 plant closures were to be announced by company chairman and chief executive Bill Ford yesterday.
"We're going to do what we have to do. It's just very, very sad," Ford told Time magazine ahead of the announcement.
But he added: "My goal is to fight Toyota and everyone else and come out on top."
Quoting people familiar to Ford's "Way Forward" plan, the Detroit News said on Sunday that 25,000 factory workers would lose their jobs over five years and 4,000 clerical and managerial jobs would be cut by April.
It said 10 plants could be closed under the plan, which follows a similar huge cost-cutting by General Motors, the world's biggest carmaker.
Including hourly and salaried job cuts, Ford was to commit yesterday to reducing its 120,000-member North American work force by about a quarter, according to people familiar with the plan quoted by the Detroit News.
Media reports said unions and workers were already calling it "Black Monday."
The company chairman told Time there would be greater emphasis on hybrid gasoline-electric engines and other environment innovations and bolder designs.
"The old way of doing things doesn't work," Ford was quoted as saying. "Is [this] risky? Of course it's risky but I tell you what: Going the way we were going is the highest risk of all."
Analysts said investors are more worried about whether Ford will get its auto operations back to profitability and many have doubts.
"The near-term savings are not going to be as much as it needs to be," Brian Ropp, an auto analyst with the T. Rowe Price brokerage told reporters. "What it does is keep them from producing cars they don't need and they won't have to discount the cars as much."
The savings from job cuts are limited by the automaker's contract with its main union.
Hourly employees who do not take early retirement packages enter the jobs bank retraining program in which they collect full pay and benefits while waiting for a spot to open up on the assembly line.
Cutting production levels also will not help Ford's declining market share. In the past 10 years, Ford has seen its share of the US market drop from 26.4 to 17.4 percent, the lowest level since the 1920s.
Ford boosted overall sales in the 1990s with sports utility vehicles but its market share in that profitable segment waned as Japanese rivals introduced smaller, car-based crossover sports utility vehicles.
The real trouble hit last year when US gasoline prices topped US$3 a gallon and Ford's light truck sales -- which include the SUVs -- fell 8.7 percent.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying