Relatives of a man shot dead by the police in China said he was murdered after resisting a beating from officers, a lawyer said yesterday after a media uproar over his death.
Xu Chunhe (徐春和), 54, was killed in the northern city of Qingan earlier this month, highlighting more widespread arming of Chinese police officers in the wake of several train station attacks.
The Police prevented Xu — who had been in a long term dispute with local officials over benefit payments — from boarding a train before beating him with batons and shooting him, family lawyer Xie Yanyi said.
“The mistake was completely on the police’s side... it is a suspected case of intentional homicide,” Xie said, adding: “We have a responsibility to pursue criminal prosecution.”
Xu had previously attempted to seek higher-level intervention in his dispute, he added.
‘INTERCEPTORS’
Local officials in China often employ staff known as “interceptors” to forcibly prevent people from traveling to lodge complaints with more senior authorities.
The practice — often carried out without any legal basis — has come in for increasing criticism and several Chinese media outlets speculated that the police had used excessive force against Xu.
EXCESSIVE FORCE
According to Xinhua news agency, authorities said the dead man had assaulted police officers, trying to grab an officer’s gun and truncheon, and that he posed an obvious threat to public security.
However, in an unusually outspoken commentary, Xinhua called on local authorities to release video footage of Xu’s death.
Xie said that the police had detained Xu in the train station waiting room, tying him to a railing before beating him. Xu was shot after “resisting,” he cited witnesses as saying.
The police sent Xu’s mother to a nursing home following the shooting as a “kind of soft arrest to prevent her from contacting the outside world,” Xie added.
The provincial railway police in Harbin, the capital of Heilongjiang, declined to comment.
Regular police officers in major Chinese cities began patrolling with guns for the first time last year in response to a deadly mass knifing blamed on separatists from the northwestern region of Xinjiang.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told