Japan’s main opposition party yesterday called for the new defense minister to resign for referring to himself as an amateur shortly before he formally took office as part of the new government line-up.
Yasuo Ichikawa told Japanese media just before he was appointed on Friday: “I am an amateur concerning security,” in comments that the opposition Liberal-Democratic Party (LDP) said proved he was not qualified for the job.
“For that comment alone he deserves to be discharged from his ministerial post,” said LDP policy chief Shigeru Ishiba, himself a former defense minister.
Photo: AFP
He said that the wisdom and judgement of Japan’s new prime minister, Yoshihiko Noda, in appointing Ichikawa was also “put into question.”
Noda, Japan’s sixth leader in five years, appointed his cabinet on Friday, featuring untested talent in key posts including the positions of finance minister and foreign minister.
Ichikawa, 69, who served in the farm ministry for 25 years before entering politics, said his comment had been misinterpreted.
“I meant to say that most of the people are amateurs and it is important to pursue security policies from the people’s viewpoint,” he said late on Friday.
However, the controversy had refused to go away yesterday with LDP policy expert Ichita Yamamoto joining the calls for the defense minister to resign as soon as possible.
“We feel very anxious leaving Japan’s national defense to a person with such an attitude,” Yamamoto said.
The ruling Democratic Party of Japan, often labeled center-left, has been at odds with the US over a huge US military presence in Okinawa since it ended the LDP’s long domination of Japanese politics in 2009.
Noda’s two predecessors have failed to resolve the issue with the key ally because of Okinawa islanders’ resistance to the planned transfer of a US marine corps air station from a growing urban area to a scenic stretch of shore.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told