A catastrophic drought in the Horn of Africa demands “massive and urgent” action from the international community, the UN food agency’s chief said yesterday as emergency talks opened on the crisis.
The worst drought in 60 years has wreaked havoc on war-torn Somalia and parts of Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Sudan and Uganda, increasing pressure on world leaders to boost aid for millions of people on the brink of starvation.
“The catastrophic situation demands massive and urgent international aid,” said Jacques Diouf, head of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), which was hosting the meeting at its headquarters in Rome.
DONATIONS
“It’s imperative to stop the famine,” Diouf said, adding that US$1.6 billion were needed for the next 12 months.
Donor countries will meet on the escalating drought crisis tomorrow, French Minister of Food, Agriculture and Fishing Bruno Le Maire said at emergency UN talks in Rome.
He said yesterday’s meeting of UN aid chiefs and charities in the Italian capital would also “prepare for the donor conference in Nairobi in two days’ time.”
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called on donor countries for that amount in aid for two regions of southern Somalia declared famine zones by the UN last week.
The FAO has warned the situation will deteriorate if nothing is done now.
And despite recent EU fund pledges, aid agencies say more needs to be raised, and fast.
France, which called the meeting as current head of the G20 group of leading world economies, said the international community had failed to ensure global food security.
“The international community has failed to ensure food security in the world,” Le Maire told UN aid agency chiefs and charity representatives.
“If we don’t take the necessary measures, famine will be the scandal of this century,” Le Maire said, adding: “Our meeting is a question of life or death for tens of thousands of people.”
UN officials say famine over the last few months has killed tens of thousands of people, forcing desperate survivors to walk for weeks in search of food and water.
GELDOF TO THE RESCUE
Live Aid organizer Bob Geldof joined activists in urging the international community to come up with more aid relief for famine victims, in a letter published yesterday ahead of the meeting.
Geldof and other celebrities, such as actress Kristin Scott Thomas and director Richard Curtis, attacked countries such as France, Italy, the Arab states and Germany.
They accused them of having “so far given miniscule amounts of money to prevent people dying from hunger.”
The meeting was to address not only immediate aid, but long-term solutions for the crisis — such as assistance to livestock farmers, the introduction of more drought-resistant crops and measures to control food price volatility.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told