Colombian soldiers rescued two senior police officers and a police sergeant that leftist guerrillas held hostage in the jungle for nearly 12 years, a minister said on Sunday.
A fourth police officer being held hostage escaped his captors during the military rescue operation and was presumably hiding as army patrols searched for him in the southern Amazon jungle, Colombian Defense Minister Gabriel Silva said.
Colombian Armed Forces Commander Freddy Padilla said the three rescued men were expected to arrive in Bogota yesterday.
“Operation Chameleon,” the most important hostage rescue mission since French-Colombian politician Ingrid Betancourt and three Americans were freed in 2008, was “flawless,” Silva said.
The rescued hostages — General Luis Herlindo Mendieta, who on Sunday turned 53, Colonel Enrique Murillo and Sergeant Arbey Delgado Argote — were still in the area of operations in southern Guaviare department “well protected” by 300 soldiers, Silva said.
Ongoing fighting between the military and rebels with the leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrillas were preventing the rescued hostages from leaving the area, officials said.
Padilla said an army sergeant died during the mission, although not where the rescue took place. He gave no further details.
Officials identified the escaped hostage as police Colonel William Donato.
“We have great hope he’s hiding out and that we’ll be able to rescue him in the next few hours,” Silva said.
FARC rebels captured Delgado and Donato in August 1998 in a raid on an anti-narcotics base in the Guaviare region. The guerrillas captured Mendieta and Murillo in November of that year in an attack on the remote southeastern border with Brazil.
Colombian President Alvaro Uribe announced the rescue earlier in the day.
“I’m the happiest woman in the world!” Delgado’s wife, Gladys Duarte, told RCN radio after hearing the good news.
Relatives of the other rescued officers were also overjoyed by the news.
“I’m so happy. Finally my prayers have been answered,” Mendieta’s wife, Maria Teresa, said between sobs. “He’s celebrating his birthday and it’s the best gift ... Finally I can celebrate a birthday with him. I can’t wait to put my arms around him.”
“The first thing I’ll tell him is that I love him ... that I’ve missed him a lot,” Murillo’s 11-year-old son, Sebastian, told Caracol TV
News of the high-profile rescue comes one week ahead of runoff presidential elections in which Uribe’s chosen successor, former defense minister Juan Manuel Santos, is favored to beat former Bogota mayor Antanas Mockus.
The first round of voting was held on May 30.
Uribe, barred constitutionally from seeking a third term in office, is credited with cracking down on the rebels and cutting the FARC’s numbers by half since he took office in 2002.
Santos, who as defense minister was credited with the spectacular July 2008 rescue of Betancourt, three American hostages and 11 military personnel from the FARC, has vowed to continue Uribe’s crackdown on insurgents and crime.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told