Rescue workers yesterday recovered the bodies of 28 miners trapped underground in a Turkish coal mine following a gas explosion, in one of the worst mine accidents in recent years.
Turkish Energy Minister Taner Yildiz said rescuers were still looking to find the bodies of two other miners believed to be either buried under or beyond a pile of earth and rock in the Karadon mine in the northern province of Zonguldak.
“We have found the bodies of 28 people. Efforts are continuing to try to find the two other men,” Yildiz told reporters.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Initial findings suggested that the miners had died from carbon dioxide poisoning, he said.
The workers were trapped at a depth of 540m on Monday when a powerful explosion, triggered by the build-up of methane gas, ripped through the pit, causing a massive cave-in.
Rescuers initially tried to reach the trapped miners through the main shaft of the mine, but found that the platform used to lower the workers was extensively damaged.
The operation was then shifted to another shaft 2,000m from the site of the explosion, forcing rescuers to travel that distance through an underground tunnel.
But their efforts were hampered by huge blocks of stone the size of cars that took them precious time to bypass.
Yildiz said rescuers launched a second effort to reach the miners through the main shaft late on Wednesday after they repaired the elevator system and descended into the pit despite obvious safety risks.
News of the deaths triggered scenes of grief among families waiting at the mine since Monday for news of their loved ones. Many broke down in tears in front of television cameras after hearing the minister’s announcement.
Explosions and cave-ins are common in Turkey, particularly in private mines where respect for safety regulations is often minimal.
Turkish President Abdullah Gul on Wednesday ordered an inquiry into Monday’s blast and other recent mining disasters.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told