Britain is to give 42 million condoms to South Africa in response to a request for an extra billion as part of an HIV prevention drive before the World Cup, the British government was expected to announce yesterday.
The request for British help in stockpiling sufficient condoms for the expected influx of thousands of football supporters in three months’ time was made during South African President Jacob Zuma’s recent visit to the UK to meet the queen.
“Obviously there’s a big focus on the World Cup coming up and a huge increase in the number of people coming into South Africa,” said Minister of International Development Gareth Thomas, who was to announce the £1 million (US$1.5 million) funding yesterday at an emergency summit in London on HIV prevention and treatment.
“The South Africans have identified themselves the need to get more condoms in place. South Africa specifically asked for British assistance and we are responding to that request,” he said.
He said that the fans would inevitably spill over into neighboring African countries with high HIV rates, which would also need to take precautions.
The South African government estimates that up to half a million visitors could travel to the country, raising fears of a rise in prostitution and sex trafficking from neighboring countries and eastern Europe and creating a potential HIV time bomb.
Last week, South Africa’s Central Drug Authority warned that 40,000 prostitutes were expected to arrive for the month-long tournament.
South Africa is embroiled in a struggle to combat the world’s biggest HIV caseload and to convince its population of the importance of safe sex.
South African Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi expressed concern on Monday that the message was being ignored because people believe HIV can now be easily treated.
“President Zuma made two far-reaching statements on World AIDS Day,” Motsoaledi said. “He made a strong statement about prevention and a strong statement about treatment regimes, but after World AIDS Day South Africans were only talking about the one.”
“That’s what is worrying me. I am saying treatment must only come after prevention,” he said.
When a hiker fell from a 55m waterfall in wild New Zealand bush, rescuers were forced to evacuate the badly hurt woman without her dog, which could not be found. After strangers raised thousands of dollars for a search, border collie Molly was flown to safety by a helicopter pilot who was determined to reunite the pet and the owner. A week earlier, an emergency rescue helicopter found the woman with bruises and lacerations after a fall at a rocky spot at the waterfall on the South Island’s West Coast. She was airlifted on March 24, but they were forced to
HIGH HOPES: The power source is expected to have a future, as it is not dependent on the weather or light, and could be useful for places with large desalination facilities A Japanese water plant is harnessing the natural process of osmosis to generate renewable energy that could one day become a common power source. The possibility of generating power from osmosis — when water molecules pass from a less salty solution to a more salty one — has long been known. However, actually generating energy from that has proved more complicated, in part due the difficulty of designing the membrane through which the molecules pass. Engineers in Fukuoka, Japan, and their private partners think they might have cracked it, and have opened what is only the world’s second osmotic power plant. It generates
Hundreds of Filipinos and tourists flocked to a sun-bleached field north of Manila yesterday, on Good Friday, to witness one of the country’s most blood-soaked displays of religious fervor, undeterred by rising fuel prices. Scores of bare-chested flagellants with covered faces walked barefoot through the dusty streets of Pampanga Province’s San Fernando as they flogged their backs with bamboo whips in the scorching heat. Agence France-Presse (AFP) journalists said they saw devotees deliberately puncturing their skin with glass shards attached to a small wooden paddle to ensure their bleeding during the ritual, a way to atone for sins and seek miracles from
Chinese dissident artist Gao Zhen (高兟), famous for making provocative satirical sculptures of former Chinese leader Mao Zedong (毛澤東), was tried on Monday over accusations of “defaming national heroes and martyrs,” his wife and a rights group said. Gao, 69, who was detained in 2024 during a visit from the US, faces a maximum three-year prison sentence, said his wife, Zhao Yaliang (趙雅良), and Shane Yi, a researcher at the Chinese Human Rights Defenders group which operates outside the nation. The closed-door, one-day trial took place at Sanhe City People’s Court in Hebei Province neighboring the capital, Beijing, and ended without a