China is investing almost US$15 million this year to more than double the size of its international search and rescue squad.
The move follows 2008’s devastating earthquake in Sichuan Province, which left an estimated 90,000 dead or missing.
“We will be able to send more teams to operations overseas and that’s one of the reasons we are expanding,” Huang Jianfa (黃建發), a division director at the Chinese Earthquake Administration, said on Friday.
While critics say China is not taking on responsibilities to match its greater role in the world, Beijing points to contributions such as its increased commitment to UN peacekeeping forces and its help in international disasters.
The rescue squad, founded in 2001, sent 60 members to Haiti last month.
China will inject 100 million yuan (US$14.6 million) to increase the team’s numbers from 220 to 500 by year’s end, Huang said.
Another 5,000 rescue workers belong to purely domestic teams around China, but train at the squad’s center northwest of Beijing. There they conduct exercises in a simulated disaster zone that are an eery echo of real tragedies: Sniffer dogs scrabble over collapsed buildings and rescuers call out to potential survivors. Others descend from tilting apartment blocks, with plastic “children” strapped to their backs.
Liu Xiangyang (劉向陽), who commands the rescue corps, said: “I believe this is good for [how people perceive] China. In the past what we gave was food and materials — now we can save lives, and life is the most precious thing of all.”
But he added: “The pressure is bigger on overseas jobs. Most of our team speak English, but sometimes the locals do not, so it’s very difficult to understand how deeply people are buried or how badly they are injured.”
The team also includes 20 paramedics and specialists in building structures.
State media reported that 29 people were injured in a 5.1-magnitude quake in southwestern Yunnan Province on Friday.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told