Swiss police on Sunday hailed as “extraordinary” the survival of a young skier who was buried by an avalanche for 17 hours and pulled from the snow with only mild hypothermia.
The 21-year-old man was swept away by a 50m wide snowslide while skiing off-piste in the Evolene region of the Alps on Saturday.
But, despite the slim survival chances of anyone trapped by an avalanche for more than an hour, an air pocket enabled the man to keep breathing while buried beneath 50cm of snow, police said.
“It’s extraordinary. We occasionally have people surviving after [being buried for] several hours, but after that is pretty much unheard of,” a police spokesman in the southern canton of Valais said.
When the Swiss skier was rushed to hospital in Valais, his body temperature was still about 34°C, only three degrees below normal and he was suffering only mild symptoms of hypothermia.
“It is just as surprising that he was not in a much more critical condition,” the spokesman said.
The man, an experienced off-piste skier, was reported missing by his family at 4:30pm. Rescuers involved in initial attempts to find him reported seeing the tracks of a skier disappearing into the path of a 50m-wide, 150m-long avalanche.
The search had to be abandoned in the early hours of yesterday morning due to concerns for rescuers’ safety. At dawn the search began again and rescuers spotted an area of snow that was moving and appeared to be a different shade from the surrounding white.
“It was his helmet that could be seen from the helicopter,” the police spokesman said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told