A man carrying grudges against several people set off on a shooting spree on Friday morning, authorities said, killing an abortion protester outside a high school because he didn’t like the activist holding a sign with graphic images of a fetus in front of students.
The gunman drove next to a gravel pit business and shot and killed the owner, who apparently also upset him, police said.
Authorities believe they stopped a third slaying by catching up with the gunman before he could kill again.
“The defendant had ill will toward these three individuals — not for the same reason necessarily, but had a grudge,” Shiawassee County Prosecutor Randy Colbry said.
Police charged Harlan James Drake, 33, with first-degree murder.
Authorities said he was a truck driver who mostly lived on the road in his cab and had family in the area, but they were mystified by what may have led him to kill.
The shootings started around 7:20am across the street at Owosso High School, as parents dropped off students before class.
James Pouillon, a well-known activist in the town, was standing across the street with a sign that pictured a chubby-cheeked baby with the word “LIFE” on one side and an image of an aborted fetus with the word “ABORTION” on the other.
Pouillon, known as “the sign man” for his years of in-your-face protests against abortion, was a polarizing figure in Owosso, a town of 15,000 best known as the birthplace of 1948 Republican presidential candidate Thomas Dewey. While inhaling oxygen from a small tank, he could usually be seen with his anti-abortion signs outside schools, the library, city hall, even football games.
“His dedication to his cause was unprecedented,” said Tony Young, who tangled with Pouillon during protests outside his car dealership.
The county’s chief assistant prosecutor, Sara Edwards, said there didn’t appear to be a “triggering event,” but Pouillon’s presence outside the school seemed to aggravate Drake. It was “the fact that he was outside the high school with his signs in front of children going to school,” she said.
The shots came as students and some horrified parents watched.
The gunman fired several shots from the window of his vehicle as he drove past the school, authorities said.
Drake then drove 11km and down a dead-end country road to Fuoss Gravel Co and killed Mike Fuoss, 61, who owned the gravel business, Shiawassee County Sheriff George Braidwood said. The two men knew each other, but authorities did not detail what may have led to his slaying.
Lisa Merkel, Fuoss’ sister-in-law, said other family members told her that the suspect’s mother worked at the gravel company more than a decade ago.
Someone wrote down Drake’s license plate number after Pouillon’s shooting and called police, who arrested him before he could fulfill a plan to kill a third man in town, Colbry said. Drake told authorities he was involved in Fuoss’ slaying when they questioned him, authorities said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in