A shooting that killed eight people partying on a seaside boulevard in northwestern Mexico may have been the work of vigilantes targeting car thieves, a prosecutor said.
The gunmen drove up in a white SUV and fired on the festive crowd without saying a word, Sinaloa state deputy Attorney General Jose Luis Leyva said on Sunday.
A 15-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl were among the youngest killed on Saturday night in the Pacific coast town of Navolato. Four people were wounded.
Also among the dead were two brothers in their 30s who had a record of car theft, Leyva said. He said investigators were considering the possibility that the gunmen belonged to a criminal gang known as the “Death Squad,” which has been killing car thieves in the region.
“It’s one line of the investigation, and of course we are going to follow it,” Levya said.
He said ballistic evidence suggested that some people may have fired back at the gunmen.
Sinaloa, a state straddling Mexico’s northern Pacific coast, is the cradle of at least two main drug cartels and a longtime hotspot for gang violence.
Increasingly, civilians have been caught in the crossfire of Mexico’s relentless gang violence. Gunmen apparently targeting rivals have sprayed bullets into clubs, bars and taco stands. Last year, a grenade attack killed eight people and wounded 106 during an Independence Day celebration in the western city of Morelia.
The seaside boulevard in Navolato is a popular gathering place for young people on the weekends, but it was nearly deserted the day after the attack.
Gang violence has claimed at least 13,500 lives since Mexican President Felipe Calderon took office in 2006 and sent tens of thousands of troops and federal police to battle drug cartels across Mexico.
Meanwhile, authorities arrested four men accused of killing at least 211 people for the Juarez cartel. Most of the killings took place in Ciudad Juarez, a city across the border from El Paso, Texas, according to a statement from the joint military and police force in charge of security in the city.
The four men allegedly belong to La Linea, a gang of hit men for the Juarez cartel, the statement said. One of the men alone is accused of killing 97 people and another 87.
Security forces caught the men based on information from seven suspects arrested last week for allegedly killing a total of 39 people, the statement said.
Authorities gave no information on the victims or a timeframe for the killings. Vladimir Tuexi, a spokesman for the Chihuahua state attorney general’s office, said there would be no further comment for the time being to avoid undermining the investigation. Officials say the men confessed to the killings.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in