Police across China have rescued 23 children in a nationwide crackdown on child trafficking from poor provinces, state media said yesterday.
The Wuhan Rail Bureau in central China has also netted 18 suspects in an eight-day campaign targeting trains pulling in from the city of Kunming, the capital of impoverished Yunnan Province, Xinhua news agency said.
Other children, ranging in age from 100 days to eight years, from the poor, coal-mining province of Shanxi, have been found in Shandong Province on the prosperous coast.
They were taken hundreds of miles in buses by smuggling rings that used poor migrants to accompany the children.
Many are now in orphanages, since their parents have not been found, Central China Television said in a report on the campaign.
Chinese babies, especially boys, from poor and remote areas may be sold to more prosperous people in far-away provinces. Some older children are also sold to gangs who train them to beg in bigger, richer cities.
A child may be sold for anywhere from 7,000 yuan to 40,000 yuan (US$1,000 to US$5,850), depending on the age and sex, Xinhua report said.
Police in Shanxi said parents struggling to make ends meet might sell their newborns.
Chinese parents also face fines if they have more than the number of children allowed under China’s population controls.
Women traveling with a small child and lots of milk powder but little in the way of children’s clothing or other items are potential traffickers, the report said.
The cheap and crowded train system allows them to bring the children long distances without being noticed.
Women and girls from the poor countryside are also potential victims of kidnapping and trafficking.
They are sold to poor men who can’t get wives in equally remote villages in other parts of China, where differences in language make it difficult for them to escape.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told