Rescue workers in Indonesia searched yesterday for 100 people still missing after a dam burst, sending a torrent of water crashing into a Jakarta suburb, as the official death toll rose to 77.
Hundreds of buildings collapsed when a wall of water broke through the manmade earthen dam early on Friday as residents slept in their beds.
“The impact of the Situ Gintung dam has killed 77 people and injured 179 people. A hundred people are still missing,” the health ministry’s crisis center head Rustam Pakaya said through a text message.
He said it was difficult to establish exactly how many people had been killed because some residents of the Cireundeu and Ciputat suburbs had the same name.
Pakaya said the ministry had distributed aid packages, including medicine, to the affected people.
Rescue workers continued to work through the day, scouring the mounds of mud and debris to search for missing people after what one local compared to the 2004 tsunami that killed 168,000 people in Indonesia.
“The rescue team is in full spirits to help their brothers and sisters,” said coordinator Suyatno, who only uses one name.
“There is a lot of debris but we will manage to search through it, despite the difficulty,” Suyatno said.
“We’ll continue to search until we are told to stop — if necessary we will work late into the night,” Suyatno said.
The 10m high Situ Gintung dam was built in 1933 when Indonesia was under Dutch colonial rule.
Authorities blamed the disaster on high water pressure following an intense downpour.
One resident, Supeje Sugeng, however said the dam had burst because it had not been properly maintained.
“We’ll see if we should ask the government for compensation. Right now, we’re just focusing on finding the missing people,” he said.
The Jakarta Globe said that such tragedies occurred too often in Indonesia.
“Whether due to lack of resources or just pure inertia, upkeep of major infrastructure is generally poor. Roads are often destroyed during the rainy season due to the poor quality of materials used and floods are a common occurrence,” the English-language newspaper said in an editorial.
Slamet Daroyni, executive director of the Jakarta office of the Indonesian Forum for the Environment, said local residents had previously complained about leaks in the earthen dam.
“The central government and local administrations have been slow in their action,” he said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told