The Winnenden school shooting appeared on Friday to have sparked a rash of copycat threats across Germany, as two men were arrested and a school was evacuated after police received information of internet warnings.
After Tim Kretschmer’s rampage, in which 16 people died, police in the northern town of Ennepetal arrested a 17-year-old boy who allegedly bragged to his fellow pupils that he was planning an attack on his school. A search of his home revealed a stash of instructions on how to make explosives and a “chemical substance.”
In the town of Ilsfeld, 32km from Winnenden, the high school was sealed off on Friday after police learned of a threat posted in an Internet forum. They found no evidence to support the threat during their search.
PHOTO: AP
In the northern state of Lower Saxony a 21-year-old man was arrested after threatening to kill 16 people at a school in the area of Soltau.
“I have a weapon and am going to kill everyone,” the message posted on an Internet chat site said.
Police said he possessed no weapons and claimed to have been “joking.”
The man could be charged with disturbing the peace.
It was revealed yesterday that a message supposedly written as a warning by Kretschmer the day before his rampage was a hoax.
The note, which was dated hours before 17-year-old Kretschmer killed nine students and three teachers at his former school, as well as three other people, had been hailed by Baden-Wuerttemberg Interior Minister Heribert Rech as a dramatic breakthrough in the inquiry.
But Rech said it was faked.
“Some madman obviously put out this awful false message,” he told the Suddeutsche Zeitung. “It must have been made up afterwards.”
Police in Winnenden said they were working with US authorities, where the servers hosting the German-language Web site are located, to try to establish who was responsible for the hoax.
Accusing Rech of an “embarrassing” error, opposition politicians urged that the shooting investigation be carried out thoroughly.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in