A 17-year-old gunman went on a shooting spree at his former school in southwest Germany yesterday, killing up to 15 people before dying himself in a shootout with police, authorities said.
The former student, dressed in black combat gear, entered the school in Winnenden, a town of 27,000 near Stuttgart, at around 9:30am and began firing.
He killed nine students and three teachers at the school, as well as one person at a nearby clinic, before fleeing with a hostage in a car. He was killed in a shootout with police.
PHOTO: AP
Two additional passers-by were killed and two policemen seriously injured in the shootout, bringing the total death toll to 16 including the gunman.
It was not clear whether the gunman had been shot by police or taken his own life, Rainer Koeller, a police spokesman in nearby Waiblingen said.
“I’ve been president of police in Baden-Wuerttemberg for 19 years now and I can’t remember a deed as terrible as this,” said Erwin Hetger, police chief in the southwestern state.
PHOTO: EPA
A German government spokesman in Berlin said he was “deeply shocked” by the incident. German Chancellor Angela Merkel was expected to make a statement later yesterday.
The secondary school is for students aged between 10 and 16. It was evacuated and rescue workers and firefighters were at the scene. Helicopters circled above the historic market town, which had been largely sealed off.
Television pictures showed dozens of heavily armed black-clad SWAT teams entering the two-story white school building.
“Police are coming through the whole time. They’re obviously looking all over town for him,” said Roberto Seifert, who works at a company neighboring the school. “We’ve never had anything like this.”
German media reports said the suspect had used weapons his parents legally held at their home, although police could not confirm this.
A market town whose origins stretch back to the 12th century, Winnenden is the hometown of German firm Kaercher, a maker of high-pressure cleaners.
In February 2002, a 22-year-old gunman killed the headmaster and seriously injured another person at a vocational training establishment he attended at Freising, near Munich.
Two months later, 16 people were killed at a high-school in Erfurt, eastern Germany, by a former student, who then killed himself.
In November 2006, a former student at a vocational school in Lower Saxony, northwestern Germany, went on a shooting spree, injuring 37 people before turning the gun on himself.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in