Brazilian President Luiz Inacio “Lula” da Silva on Friday said it was “regrettable” that a Roman Catholic archbishop excommunicated the mother of a nine-year-old girl who had an abortion after being raped by her stepfather.
Brazilian Archbishop Jose Gomes Sobrinho also excommunicated the doctors who performed the procedure.
“As a Christian and a Catholic, I deeply regret that a bishop has had such conservative behavior,” Lula told reporters in the city of Vitoria.
He praised the doctors in the northeastern Brazilian city of Recife for their decision to perform the abortion.
“In this case, medicine is more right than the Church,” Lula said.
Gomes Sobrinho, archbishop of Olinda and Recife, defended his decision in an interview published on Friday by Brazilian daily O Estado de Sao Paulo.
Abortion “is a silent Holocaust,” he said.
Asked why he did not excommunicate the stepfather who sexually abused the girl, Gomes Sobrinho said: “He committed an extremely serious crime. But that crime, according to canon law, is not punished with automatic excommunication.”
“Abortion is even more serious. The Church and the whole world condemn the Holocaust that killed 6 million Jews. What is happening [with abortion] is a silent Holocaust,” he said.
Abortion is illegal in predominantly Catholic Brazil, but the law admits exceptions in cases of rape or if the mother’s life is at risk.
The girl was 15 weeks pregnant with twins and doctors said her life was in danger. She weighed just 36kg and was 1.33m tall. The girl, whose identity was not made public, had recovered and was released from hospital on Friday.
The stepfather, 23, confessed to the rape and was arrested last week in Recife, the capital of the state of Pernambuco. According to police, the girl had been sexually abused since she was six.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told