Threatened by rockfalls, rescue workers called off their search for bodies on Tuesday and gave up on finding anybody alive in the rubble of a landslide in northern Guatemala that killed at least 34 coffee laborers.
Rescue teams using shovels and their bare hands recovered the bodies of 28 coffee farm workers crushed when part of a mountain collapsed on a road they were walking along on Sunday.
The remaining bodies have not been found, but a spokesman for disaster relief commission CONRED said the fact that rocks were falling every few minutes at the site made the search too dangerous.
“Sadly there’s no possibility of finding anyone alive,” spokesman Hugo Arvizu said.
At least 50 are still missing, many of them laborers at nearby coffee plantations who skirted roadblocks erected after another deadly slide hit the same road two weeks ago. That avalanche killed two people.
Local mayor Leopoldo Ical said at least 100 people were in the area when the landslide buried more than 1km of highway on Sunday.
More than 800 people from the tiny Mayan mountain villages of Aquil Grande and Aquil Pequeno were evacuated on Monday to a nearby village in case more landslides occur.
Ten unidentified bodies were buried at the local cemetery after no one claimed them.
Sunday’s landslide, triggered by a geological fault, brought thousands of tonnes of rock crashing down on a road in a remote area near the small indigenous town of San Cristobal Verapaz, about 200km north of Guatemala City.
“There was no damage to any coffee crops,” said Blanca Castro, a spokeswoman for Guatemala’s coffee growers association.
Arvizu said the search for the remaining bodies could resume later in the week if rockfalls in the area ceased.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told