A Chilean Navy ship on Friday rescued 89 passengers from a ship that ran aground in icy Antarctic waters, took on water through the damage and suffered a fuel leak.
The tourists boarded the rescue ship Aquiles early on Friday 1,300km south of the Argentine port of Ushuaia, a day after their boat called for help after becoming stuck, said Claudia Albornoz, a spokeswoman for the operator Antarpply Expeditions in Ushuaia.
The passengers were to be taken to the Chilean Antarctic station Frei, where they were expected to arrive late on Friday. Yesterday, they were set to fly on to Ushuaia.
The crew of 33 on the 85m-long cruise ship Ciudad de Ushuaia remained on board. Argentine authorities said there was rough weather in the area, although the ship was in a relatively sheltered location in Guillermina Bay.
The Ciudad de Ushuaia, built for research in 1970 in the US, ran aground on a rock and the ship let in water, while fuel from two tanks leaked to the sea.
But the hole was small, so it only posed a minor risk for the people on board, Argentine Navy Admiral Daniel Alberto Martin told television channel C5N. There was no immediate risk of the boat sinking.
Earlier on Friday, the Atlantic Dream, another cruise ship that was in the area at the time of the accident, approached the troubled boat to offer assistance.
The Ushuaia — which sails under a Panamanian flag — is equipped to sail through ice. It had set off from the city of the same name on Nov. 28 for an 11-day cruise. The operator said the cheapest cabin cost US$4,000.
Among the ship’s passengers, there were 12 US citizens, nine Germans, six Spaniards, and also tourists from New Zealand, Australia, Italy, France, Switzerland, China and other countries. Most of the crew are Argentines.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told