Thirty-two workers were rescued from a flooded coal mine in China yesterday after being trapped for nearly a day and the boss was being probed for running an illegal operation, state media reported.
The workers were lifted out of the flooded shaft in Henan Province shortly after 6am, almost 24 hours after the accident occurred, Xinhua news agency reported.
However, one of their colleagues was found dead while rescuers were still searching for another miner still listed as missing, according to the agency.
PHOTO: AP
Xinhua said an earlier report it had published stating 33 workers were rescued had been wrong.
The accident at the Gaomendong Coal Mine near Pingdingshan city happened at about 7:20am on Monday.
Forty-two miners were at work at the time of the flooding, and eight managed to escape shortly afterwards, Xinhua said.
However, it was two hours before the mine owner reported the accident, and he had also not passed on earlier warnings from miners that water had been seeping into the shaft, Xinhua said.
The owner, Lou Gaofeng, had been detained, the agency said, adding the mine had been operating illegally, even though its production licence was valid until November next year.
“The mine was undergoing a technical renovation ... and had yet to be approved for resuming production,” said Wang Dexue (王德學), deputy head of the state administration of work safety.
Also on the list of security lapses was the finding that too many workers had been in the mine at the time of the flooding.
“The mine allows a maximum of 28 miners. But 42 people were working underground when the accident happened,” said Li Hanwei (李捍衛), vice director of rescue operations.
It was the third coal mine accident in less than three weeks in Henan, with a total of five miners dying in the two previous accidents.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told