The last of 16 miners trapped in a flooded gold mine in the northern Philippines was rescued after 11 days, an official said yesterday.
George Baywong, a Mines and Geosciences Bureau officer who supervised the rescue efforts, said Joseph Anayasan was pulled out of the mine in Itogon Township in Benguet Province around nightfall on Friday.
“It was miraculous,” he said of the miner’s survival.
Anayasan was immediately whisked away by his relatives to evade police, who have a standing warrant for his arrest on theft and robbery charges, Baywong said.
Anayasan was one of 10 survivors among 16 men inside the mine when floodwaters rushed in during a typhoon on Sept. 22. The bodies of the six others were recovered days earlier. Anayasan’s brother, Mario, was among three men rescued on Wednesday.
Baywong said Anayasan’s “hard life upbringing” and his physical fitness contributed to his survival.
“He may have prayed to God to let him live, promising to change,” Baywong said.
He said Anayasan was located by former miners who volunteered to rescue him in a tight spot where navy frogmen who had helped save the other miners could not reach him with their equipment.
Baywong said rescuers helped move Anayasan about 455m along a horizontal shaft. They then gave him a little food and water so he could regain some strength to climb 91m on ladders along a vertical shaft and negotiate another 212m of a horizontal tunnel to get out on the side of a mountain.
He said Anayasan’s family, worried about how the police would treat him right after coming out of the mine, took him away but promised to turn him over to authorities soon.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told