A terrifying shooting spree that stretched from a small northwest Washington town onto the state’s busiest highway left six people dead and at least two more wounded on Tuesday.
The dead included a Skagit County sheriff’s deputy and the wounded included a Washington State Patrol trooper who was shot while trying to catch the shooter on Interstate 5, the state patrol said. A suspect in the shootings, a recently released convict with a history of mental illness, has surrendered.
State Department of Corrections officials identified the man as Isaac Zamora, 28, who had served a six-month Skagit County jail sentence for drug possession.
Zamora was released on Aug. 6 and was under community supervision by Corrections officers, spokesman Chad Lewis said.
State Corrections Secretary Eldon Vail said Zamora had reported as instructed and passed tests for drug and alcohol use.
“I want to extend our profound sorrow and heartfelt sympathy for the victims of the shootings in Skagit County,” Vail said in a statement.
Washington State Governor Chris Gregoire called for an independent third-party review to be led by the head of the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs and a prosecutor to be appointed by the Washington Association of Prosecuting Attorneys.
“I will be directing them to look into how this case was handled and provide an initial report to me within 10 days,” Gregoire said late on Tuesday night.
Zamora’s mother said she had tried repeatedly to get help for her son, whom she described as “desperately mentally ill.”
“We’re so devastated for the families,” Dennise Zamora said by telephone. “I wish it would have been him or me that was killed. That’s how deeply I feel about it.”
The slain deputy was identified as Anne Jackson, 40, whom Mrs Zamora described as a sympathetic figure who had tried to help the family in the past.
The dead were found at multiple crime scenes. They included the deputy shot while responding to a call and a second person killed at the same location near the small town of Alger; two construction workers found shot nearby, and a third body found a few houses away, Trooper Keith Leary said.
A motorist was shot and killed on Interstate 5 as the suspect fled south.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in